Need help with drivers seat

psuStang

Founding Member
Jul 28, 2000
Arlington, VA
The back of my drivers seat won't stay upright. I don't know what happened. I got in the car one day and the back of the seat just leaned back. It feels almost like the side of the rear seat frame broke right where it connects to the lower part of the seat. I have to keep the rear seat folded down to keep the drivers seat upright. Does anybody know how to fix this? I haven't had a chance to pull the seat apart yet. Should I start with the plastic cover on the side of the seat? It's really annoying driving around with a broken seat. I could use any kind of advice you might have. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know if you're describing the same problem, but basically, for taking apart the back of the seat it's not too bad. You'll need to pull the seat out of the car (4 bolts - possibly an electric connector). Then unzip the back of the seat and you'll need to reach up with a screwdriver. This is the hardest part. Feel around with your fingers and move the headrest up and down a few times so you get na idea of where the spring-strap-clip setup is that holds it in. It latches onto a groove in the headrest. You need to pry this up and pull the headrest out. It only moves a little and the headrest will pull right out. Once you do that you're homefree. Just pull the black sheathing out of the headrest hole if your year/model has it. Then slide the cover/cushion right off. You should be able to see your problem.