Need Help With Front Springs

mrmrmike

Aug 4, 2015
New guy hear....
so the previous owner I got my car from
Cut the front spring to the point of Mabey a 1/2 of Spring travel before bottoms out.
so I got a hold of a buddy of mine who gave me a set of springs from his 1999-04
V6 mustang but it has one coil cut off of it.
first question is will they fit in my 86 gt 5.0
and the next question is will I be in the same boat since I have a coil cut off of them
Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

Do NOT put a set of cut springs on your car. Get a set of normal v8 fox body springs. If you pay $20 for a used set you paid too much. Check the classifieds and CL. Guys are always parting out these cars.

I get it ..... But will the spring fit ??? and will I have at least some suspension travel ....
My plan is to put some kind of coil overs on the car but I have to get the car to drive at least to be able to get the thing back to my house from over 2 hours away and I don't want to drive it with 1/2 of movement that far. It wouldn't be safe for my self or anybody on the roads. I have the car at a buddy's house
Sitting on his lift right now and I am going up this weekend to pick it up to bring it home so with all that said will they fit and work to get the car home so I can put it on my lift and rip the car apart and do it right.

I don't want to sound like a d1ck or anything
And thanks for looking out :) but from what I read on line its like a 200lb difference between the two vehicles so I am thinking it might be ok to get the thing home.
I have a little shop and build rats and rods and we do thing right just need to know if they will fit in the pocket and be safer to drive on home on then the 1/2" that I got now.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-o88RXnYgFc&feature=youtu.be

Some of the toys.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Ok update the v6 springs worked with 1 and 3/4 of a coil cut off.
It gives me about 1 1/2" to 2" of Spring travel before the car bottoms out good news is that for the 2 Hour Drive home I didn't bottom out once on back roads or the highway.

Just saw this and they do fit yes. I removed 96+ v6 vert springs from my fox that were cut. Worst riding car ever. Replaced with ford racing C springs and it's so much nice now and no longer bottoms out the fender on the tires.

I have Mach 1 springs in my car, but they sit too high up front. I might cut 1/4-1/2 coil off just to bring it down since i'm running no isolators to try and lower it a bit. I'd rather add the isolators if I can.

The mach springs are linear, so cutting them should affect them like they would progressive rate springs