Need help with MII Project

First I just have to say WOO HOO just pulled my new project MII off the trailor. Have not owned one since 1990.

I am having problems with the headlight knob... Does it pull off or screw off? I can not seem to get it off and I am afraid I am going to break the entire workings! :bang:

Please help.

Ohh yea I will be putting up a website soon showing the different stages of my project.

Chad

• Sponsors (?)

hah

Well there is supposed to be a spring loaded clip up under the knob. Haynes uses something like an ice pick on a handle to get it off.. or you can do it my way. . . . . .take a pair of vice grips and squeeze til theres no tomororw.. it'll break and :) :) it comes off

cobraii74x said:
Well there is supposed to be a spring loaded clip up under the knob. Haynes uses something like an ice pick on a handle to get it off.. or you can do it my way. . . . . .take a pair of vice grips and squeeze til theres no tomororw.. it'll break and :) :) it comes off
HEHE cobraii74x I think I will try the non-destructive way first... But if all fails I have a large set of vice-grips! :)

Thanks to everyone, going down now to try the different approaches!
Chad

Excellent! I took that metal plate out and then it was very easy to get to... Just pushed the button that was located on the drives door side of the switch toward the passenger’s door and the knob popped right now.

Thanks again everyone,
Chad

?? My knob just pulled straight off of the shaft like all the other ford knobs I've seen that style??? In fact, my bronco II was missing the knob when I got it, so I pulled it off the II and it was the exact same style. Just a three sided shaft that the knob is pressed onto. Maybe it was just some kind of wierd quirk, or did they fix that problem by 78?

bennettracing said:
?? My knob just pulled straight off of the shaft like all the other ford knobs I've seen that style??? In fact, my bronco II was missing the knob when I got it, so I pulled it off the II and it was the exact same style. Just a three sided shaft that the knob is pressed onto. Maybe it was just some kind of wierd quirk, or did they fix that problem by 78?

Mine is a 78? But I nearly pulled out the dash trying to pull it off... It does not pull straight off!

Chad

bennettracing said:
well I'll be a greased jesus...looks like I lucked out! any idea why mine worked this way anybody?

Kyle
You never know.. They may have ran out of one and just used the pull off kind for a while. I mean as long as they turn the lights on who cares :)

Ummm but I do wish I also had the pull off one now :)

Chad

my 78 just pulls off....... With the newer ones, I've seen that you can use a small knife or a 1/8" hex bit on the tip of a screwdriver and pry the metal retaining clip towards the rear of the car while pulling out on the knob.....it's a major PITA