Need help with new car decisions

• Sponsors (?)

worked v6 said:
Wouldn't a pre race prepared race car be a lot more money than building one my self? I didn't know that they had that, that's awesome! I have to go through the performance driving experience (Race School)first, then TT (Time Trials), then I can go into a certain class, Club racing is what i'm leaning tward. Eventually I want to make it to the GT and GT-S classes. I'm so stoked about this.

I am speaking of a used race car, you can buy brand new ones for sure but for club racing I would start out used. A used race car will already have it's log book and be an approved car to Race right off the bat. If you go new, then you have to get all the paper work and a log book issued to it.

Once you get a race car you can attend 2 SCCA driving schools to get your novice license for club racing. Here is the link for the Central Florida Reigon for the SCCA. http://www.cfrscca.org/club_racing.html , it will give you a lot of info you'll need and a schedule for your region. I would head out to the next Regional Event in your area and see what's up. It used to be no charge to go if you are a member so it's worth it. Hey, you might be able to find the car of your dreams right there. :D :D

hotrodnut said:
I am speaking of a used race car, you can buy brand new ones for sure but for club racing I would start out used. A used race car will already have it's log book and be an approved car to Race right off the bat. If you go new, then you have to get all the paper work and a log book issued to it.

Once you get a race car you can attend 2 SCCA driving schools to get your novice license for club racing. Here is the link for the Central Florida Reigon for the SCCA. http://www.cfrscca.org/club_racing.html , it will give you a lot of info you'll need and a schedule for your region. I would head out to the next Regional Event in your area and see what's up. It used to be no charge to go if you are a member so it's worth it. Hey, you might be able to find the car of your dreams right there. :D :D

Thanks for that link. I'm look at that for a while and i'll definately head out to the next event if i'm able. I didn't know that I would have to get a log book and all that, thanks for the heads up. What would you recomend for the club racing.... What car/cars would you recommend for that series.

If this is just going to be an SCCA car, why are you looking at newer cars? You're going to want to upgrade most of the stock equipment anyways, so you're on the same level with an older car.
Like Hotrodnut said, a turnkey racer may cost a little more initially, but in the long run you'll save more because you won't be having to upgrade everything, it's already done.

Here's a cool article that was in Hotrod a couple months back:
How to build a Budget Race Car

[QUOTE='66 coupe]If this is just going to be an SCCA car, why are you looking at newer cars? You're going to want to upgrade most of the stock equipment anyways, so you're on the same level with an older car.
Like Hotrodnut said, a turnkey racer may cost a little more initially, but in the long run you'll save more because you won't be having to upgrade everything, it's already done.

Here's a cool article that was in Hotrod a couple months back:
How to build a Budget Race Car[/QUOTE]

I like that article, thanks. I just thought that buying a new or semi used car would be cheaper than buying a car thats already setup, thought it would be anyway. I still got a lot to do for it anyway.

worked v6 said:
Thanks for that link. I'm look at that for a while and i'll definately head out to the next event if i'm able. I didn't know that I would have to get a log book and all that, thanks for the heads up. What would you recomend for the club racing.... What car/cars would you recommend for that series.

For club racing and being competitive too it is going to be a hard call right off. First, have you ever competed in any kind of Road Racing like Karts, SoloI, SoloII, or anything else? If not, then before doing anything else I would attend a vehicle control school where they have a skid pad to get that under your belt. You don't really want to be out on the track at first with cars all around you while trying to learn how to control your car during high speed situations. There is a School down at Sebring that can do that for you.

Then, I would go to some SoloII events, these are events usually held in large parking lots with speeds up to 60-70 mph and you run individually. From this you can learn control and the art of when to brake, how to get into and out of the corners faster and just the level of concentration that is required to be racing, again without having cars all around you to deal with while trying to get that down pat. Also you can use your street car for this. Central Florida has a great SoloII program too.

From there I would get the car you decide to race and do a couple SoloI events which are at the big Road Race Tracks you'll be competing on. These events you will run individually and you will be well spaced out on the track. This will teach you how and when to brake, accelerate, drift, trail brake, hit your marks entering the corners, hit the apex of the corners and be right on your mark exiting the corners, again, while not having a bunch of others all around you going for the same spots. A plus to this will also be track time to get your set up correct on your car for when it is time to go head to head with others. This way you will know your car will be just right for that late braking pass into the corner and that perfect setting up your opponent for the off corner pass.

Now, which car, hummmm, look at what kind of budget you will have to race with, and really consider just how much time and talent you will be having to getting your car ready to Race. Road Race Cars can and will drain your time in prep between events especially if it is a high maintenance car. If you run a heavy car with loads of power it will eat tires, brakes and can be very hard on it's drive train and chassis components. On the other hand a lighter, little less powered car can go between races with minimal things to do and keep up. Also they can provide a better fun factor because they run closer to the same lap times and the real drivers stand out since HP doesn't make up for their mistakes or lack of skill.

So I would say hit the next Race you can, look at all the groups racing and talk to all the drivers and crews you can of the classes that interest you. From that you will be able to see what is involved for them and how they feel about the class they Race in. It may take you a couple events or so to get a real good idea for what will be best for you and what car you will have the time, money and skill to be able to maintain and Race too.

^ thanks, thats a lot of good info! :hail2: I've been on a couple of road courses with other people, but never competed with them. Just haveing fun really. So, I guess i'll just have to look into what i'll be doing. Even though i've been on a few road courses, i'll still see if I can do thoses skip pad, and solo events. Sounds like it's a real good thing to have the knowledge about. I'd prefer a mid-sized car, like a mustang or camaro, or similar, etc. just because that's all i've really driven, I haven't really driven any family sedans, or bigger sized cars. But again i'll just have to let everything play it's self out.

worked v6 said:
^ thanks, thats a lot of good info! :hail2: I've been on a couple of road courses with other people, but never competed with them. Just haveing fun really. So, I guess i'll just have to look into what i'll be doing. Even though i've been on a few road courses, i'll still see if I can do thoses skip pad, and solo events. Sounds like it's a real good thing to have the knowledge about. I'd prefer a mid-sized car, like a mustang or camaro, or similar, etc. just because that's all i've really driven, I haven't really driven any family sedans, or bigger sized cars. But again i'll just have to let everything play it's self out.

Here's a Mustang race ready on ebay for ya! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6236&item=4553713220

:banana: OH MAN! :banana: that's nice, and the bidding is only at... 3k$. I'd give that guy 9k$ for it, it needs some work but all around it'll get the job done. Thanks for that one, i'm gonna go look and see if I can't find a few others to compare it with.