Need help with porting and polishing Cobra intake

Seth is "on call" which means he's at home a lot waiting for the call to come in - so he'll probably be porting at home. Since he works in maintenance, they have those tools. I work for a hospital system and we can check out maintenance tools for use at home too.

• Sponsors (?)

viperos said:
LOL, I thought most everyone had figured that out by now :D (you're name's not Seth...)

-btw, why did you choose Seth5.0 for your name then?

-also, also, I didn't realize you were german "die grinder" (me too :nice: I don't speak german very well anymore though at all...)
I saw him write Ernie before, but I thought since his english was not too good, that he meant to write "Seth" and mistakenly wrote "Ernie" :rolleyes:

What I thought was funny was that
Ernie Said
I didn't spend any money on tools , that tools are on my job , I just borrow those tools

I changed it to
didn't spend any money on tools , that tools are on my job , I just steal those tools

331Cobra said
That's a misquote, he said the tools are designed to work with steel, not aluminum

Cobra thought I misunderstood the metal "steel" with Ernie saying "I steal" them from work :rlaugh: :lol:

You guys are too much for me to handle..Ill have to invite some of you to my 40th BDAY this year!

RC

RIO5.0 said:
Seth...if you look down all your runners you wanna see a straight shot to the head port....check all the ports and you'll see maybe 2 ports that the "curve" in the runner may be a restriction...just lightly grind the sides to "lessen" that curve you see....like i say, Tmoss did my Ex lower and barely touched but a couple runners....

the upper will support your mods no problem....only thing i did was to color around the u/l ports...lay your gasket on there lining up you bolt holes...tape the gasket in place if need be, take a fine point and "scribe a mark around the gasket..remove it...then grind to your "scribe" line to gasket match it....very simple....

I just got my Cobra intake
RIO5.0 tmoss and other guys do I have scribe a mark around the gasket between lower/heads or I have to just lightly grind the sides , and what I gonna do with Tb , one day this summer I gonna put 65mm TB , how much I have take off on TB opening AND what gasket I have to use for lower/heads , do I have to use Cobra or GT gasket

QUOTE=Seth5.0]I just got my Cobra intake
RIO5.0 tmoss and other guys do I have scribe a mark around the gasket between lower/heads or I have to just lightly grind the sides , and what I gonna do with Tb , one day this summer I gonna put 65mm TB , how much I have take off on TB opening AND what gasket I have to use for lower/heads , do I have to use Cobra or GT gasket[/QUOTE]

Ernest.... :D I personally would not play with the head ports...to risky that some chit may get in there....Are the heads on the car or out??? out, yes, in, no...

The gasket for the lower to head will be a Fel-Pro 1250....or you can buy the Fel-Pro MS93334 set, and use all but the U/L gasket, its for the old stock unit...i like this set, as it has the Blue rubber ends seals and the dizzy o-ring....

You need to buy a Fel-Pro MS95953...its the Cobra U/L gasket..

I wouldn't mess with the TB opening on the upper...its gonna be larger than your stock TB anyway....maybe just clean up the casting flash and roughness and call it a day...

ms93334.jpg

Ernest like "Ernest Goes to Africa" and those movies , I'm not stupid , i'm just crazy :D

RIO5.0 I don't wanna port head port,hell no , I talkin about port on lower intake that two side that going to heads ,not head side Intake side , do I have scribe a mark around the lower gasket ,
AND two hours ago I order in AutoZone FELPRO UPPER & LOWER set MS95952 can I use that gasketb/c I know Cobra upper gasket is different than GT , BUT is it lower Cobra gasket same is GT (I asking this because I buy gaskets for Cobra and Cobra have different heads than GT so mey be ports isn't same size)

Here is link where I order gaskets http://www1.autozone.com/servlet/Ui...GULAR+PARTS+LOOK+UP|~GASKET+-+INTAKE+MANIFOLD

No, Its like "Ernest goes to camp".... :D

Back to the subject....Yes the AZ one you ordered will do the trick, odds are, its the same as the one in the above pic, or even the 1250 gasket...your all set there...
You still need to order the Upper though???...Have em both so your not waiting once you get into it....doesn't take alot of time to gasketmatch and just clean up the ports...

I'm going to be gasketmatching my Cobra today...I'll snap some pics for you to see...the Lowers on the motor and already done..im switching uppers only...same thing applies to both though....

Ernie - if your heads are the stock E7 heads, they measure 1.05" wide x ~1.65" high. The gasket in the MS93334 and the Cobra gasket are larger than that, so you don't want to use them to scribe your intake for porting. The Cobra lower intake is about .95" wide x 1.65" high, so you don't have much to take off to match them up. Personnaly, for the E7 head I wouldn't open the ports right at the head - go back up into the runner and where it has sharp turns on the "short side" cut those angles back and reduce them. May Rio can take some pics of what I did to his intake and post them for you.

Hey Tom....Hows things??? Got that motor done up with the new stuff???

I think he's got GT40s or Ps if im not mistaking??? The GT40 lower you did for me is bolted down...cant really get any good shots on those runners...

Nope - that conversion is going slow, but I'm not in a hurry. Doing a lot of bead blasting/clean up on the parts as I remove them - just about to pull the E7 heads. Trying to decide if I want to do a cam now.

Ernie - paste the link in my signature for some pictures of the runners I did - might help you understand.

Yes I understand , I just don't wanna mess up with $380 (what I pay for Cobra U/L intake)

I don't have to match them up only just clean up the ports lower to head side (not head port) thats right here http://myimages.fourvalve.com/patak/Cobra lower5.jpg
Only I have to match them up on upper and lower opening thats right here
http://myimages.fourvalve.com/patak/Cobra lower1.jpg
http://myimages.fourvalve.com/patak/Cobra upper1.jpg

Andy send me some new pics of intake on [email protected]

and name is Ernie not Ernest :mad:

Here's the upper I did today....Before..Nice match huh.... :nonono:

cobra_gm_before.jpg

casting marks in the ports to clean up..
cobra_casting_marks.jpg

4 ports done up.
cobra_gm2.jpg

All done....should give you an idea of what to do....i just tapered the ports from the line scribed to like mid-port, sorta like a transition...
cobra_gm1.jpg

tmoss said:
Nice job Ernan (it's not ernie either is it) - you can be proud of your first effort.

Thank you tmoss , and how you find out my name is Ernan , but friends call me Ernie because Ernan is too hard to say :D
In Saint Louis have too many bosnians (around 150k) do you know any of them

Your true name is on the web site with your pictures - I notice that stuff.

MANY Bosnians work at St. John's Mercy Medical Center - one of the hospitals in St. Louis that the Sisters of Mercy Health System owns. Many work in housekeeping and food service, so you here the Bosnian-Americam accent quite often there. I don't know any of then very well as I only visit there now for Engineering projects. I worked there for 10 years in the past though.