Need help with rich condition

mattsls2

Apr 8, 2010
My brother just give me a 92 lx 5.0 vert and it has not run in nearly 2 years. He treated the fuel before he put her up. The problem is weird it starts perfect and idles correct but just as it starts to warm up a little is gets a rich condition and smokes so rich it burns you eyes. Smells like raw gas. It may do this 30 seconds and quiet for a minute and do it all over again. But when she gets hot and goes from open to closed loop it stops and runs perfect. I know its not good on one to sit but I think this is why he parked it. The car is in great condition with 101,663 miles. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a great day

:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

FWIW, it takes 30-120 seconds to reach closed loop on a cold motor. It happens sooner on a warm motor.

Have you pulled codes yet?

FWIW, it takes 30-120 seconds to reach closed loop on a cold motor. It happens sooner on a warm motor.

Have you pulled codes yet?

No, the check engine or service engine light is not on steady or does not flash at all. What type of scan tool do I need to communicate with the pcm?

Thanks for your help

senser

really sounds like a senser problem to me.autozone can test your car with one of their code scanners for free.normally the check engine light comes on when a senser has completely gone bad,but alot of times it will not come one when a senser is going out rather than bein completely gone out.and because its doin it intermittently it sounds like a senser is on its way out.there are several sensers that would affect it while either warming up or being warmed up already(open and cloesed loop)so youll definately need codes pulled.you can use jumper wires inserted into the test connecter under the hood but i couldnt tell you how to do it that way.a hayes manual tells you how to use the jumper wires for testing if you go to autozone and find one that someone has removed the plastic from.doin it this way makes your check engine light flash the codes out and then youll just have to write them down and check the book using the codes listed.