Need Ideas for Market Research Paper!

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone could help me come up with ideas for my Market Research class. I have to find a topic to do my presentation on and it needs to be a problem that a company or product is facing in the market. So for example I was thinking about doing Ford, since they are obviously not doing well compared to alot of the other car companies out there right now especially the foreign market. I have noticed that many companies stand for something, for example when you think volvo u think saftey, when you think mercedes you think luxury, when you think saab you think environmental savvy. I dont think ford really stands or has an image and the marketing problem would be just that Ford does not have an image and maybe thats part of the reason sales have dropped. Any ideas expanding on my ford topic or a new ideas alltogether would be appreciated thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

There was a good ford article on MSN.com (go to the money section up top). Type in F for the symbol search. It will list news stories. One of the stories is in fact stating how this investor thought Ford a better deal than GM even though GM stocks are higher.

I have been reading the news/stocks on Ford and am about to probably buy some shares. It hit the 9$ range in like July or Aug. before the housing market tanked. The investor said he targeted a 10$ price. Its around 7$ so that is a nice gain even if it hits only 9 again. I believe he moved the rank of ford to under valued from Peer valued.

There has been a good bit of good news coming from ford on its "plan". Taking better inventory (unlike GM) to make sure your closer to real world sales and dont end up with alot of unsold cars in inventory and focus on getting sales by offering a good product not just TONS of price cuts. All the way to making some very good cars when they need to- case in point the Fusion, Edge, re-done taurus, and of course our pride and joy mustang. I am actully hoping to buy a Fusion REALLY REALLY soon and one thing is I really have not heard much bad about it from techs to buyers.

Saleen Autosport has a nice story.

I know there is a great story behind the evolution of saleen as an aftermarket mustang parts manufacturer. Your going to have to do your research though and this might be your biggest obstacle. Aight here is what I know. Oh and you can use the saleen book for info as well as videos, car sales info, internet sales, parts sales, innovation, marketing. There is a lot of info out there but it is a great story how a small company can grow into the company it has become today. Started by Steve Saleen former winning race driver. Some talking points.
-Steve started off as a race team member.
-started off by doing research into performance enhancement for mustangs and I think Ford Rangers.
-Sold aftermarket parts
-Sold cars out of warehouse
-Made deal with Ford to sell out of their dealerships.
-Developed new vehicles. S351 S281, Extreme Edition, Focus, S7 and a couple saleen Contours and maybe a Thunderbird.
-Begin with Mustangs and grew large enough to develop a supercar, the S7.
-Made deal with Ford to make FordGT.
-Made the car for Chevy for Transformers.
-Saleen approached Micheal Bay first to put car in movie as good guy, but then chevy butted in with their checkbook and made their new Camero the good guy and saleen E the bad guy Barricade. Other saleen vehicles have been featured in movies like Bruce Almighty, 2Fast2Furious, 50Cents music video and Hollywood Homicide, etc.
-Saleen has a following like Shelby did for the previous generation.
-Saleen grew company too big where too many investors had their hands in the pot. Of course little by little Steve lost control of the company where most of the decisions were made by the Execs with the money. Strong advertising and new markets allowed for the company to grow at the stake of holding onto the heritage of working with exclusively mustangs. Saleen has hold of a mustang market, as well as Sport Tuning with the Focus, as well as the Super car market with the S7 and the Ford GT.
-Great history but now will probably set its eyes on new markets beginning with Chevy.
-With its history there was changes of location, multiple facilities, a new retail store. I mean they are trying to sell saleen shoes which I think is crazy. Advertising with mustang websites, movies oh and they did a skit on The Bachelor TV show showcasing the vehicles.
-But yeah as of now, Saleen doesn't even belong to Steve Saleen anymore, he is just a poster boy now. But I do respect him because he re-ignited this new mustang fever.
-Market competition came about with Roush, Boyd Coddington, Foose Etc. which is probably why Saleen is headed into the direction they are headed in. To get an early stronghold before the others catch on.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. there is a ton of literature out there and contacts. But yeah like I said its a great story of innovation, growth, target marketing, but also a loss of heritage. There is a lot to focus on, but if you pick a couple things to get into im sure their is a lot of info out there to get you started. Good Luck.

Unless you're writing your thesis, I'd pick a smaller topic/subject.
Something like the Saleen idea is great IMHO. You could do it on any niche company.
Or do something like how Ford getting puffy about using "Mustang" in company names caused controversy. Some companies changed their name, some customers were outraged, etc etc. Quite a bit of marketing type stuff involved I think.

Good luck with whatever you decide.