need info about twin turbos

first 5.0

Feb 27, 2007
i just started a 4 cyl. swap and put a 5.0. in from a 86 GT and i want to bolt on a set of T3 40 trim turbos but was told that my motor wont hold up to it, even if i only run 8 psi. the only thing done to my motor is new rings, bearings, and a F-cam with 2.5" flowmater exhaust, edelbrock intake and carb. is it possible i could run this setup with out doing a full rebuild and studing my block. any help

• Sponsors (?)

i just started a 4 cyl. swap and put a 5.0. in from a 86 GT and i want to bolt on a set of T3 40 trim turbos but was told that my motor wont hold up to it, even if i only run 8 psi. the only thing done to my motor is new rings, bearings, and a F-cam with 2.5" flowmater exhaust, edelbrock intake and carb. is it possible i could run this setup with out doing a full rebuild and studing my block. any help

40 trim turbo's would be way to small for a 5.0L. You would be better off running some garett 60 trim's off of the t-coupe/svo's.

There is far more information over on www.turbomustangs.com :nice:

millhouse can smell turbo threads a mile a way. Often, he wakes up in the middle of night to post in them but never remembers even getting out of bed the next day.

besides running to small of turbos, what about runing this setup pretty much on a stock motor with 60 trim turbos? i went to turbomustang and it answered a lot of questions but it didnt see anything about doing this on a stock motor or maybe i just looked over it and didnt see it.

besides running to small of turbos, what about runing this setup pretty much on a stock motor with 60 trim turbos? i went to turbomustang and it answered a lot of questions but it didnt see anything about doing this on a stock motor or maybe i just looked over it and didnt see it.

Yep, you certainly overlooked it. There are tons of posts on that very subject.

Yes you can run turbo's on a stock 5.0L longblock. How long your headgaskets last will depend greatly on your tune and how well your engine has been maintained. If you have excess blowby already, the turbo's will make it worse.

Id also recommend reading some of the information in the knowledge base here...

http://www.turbomustangs.com/knowledge.php

:nice:

according to this post http://www.turbomustangs.com/smf/index.php?topic=77662.0 those shouls work. I am using the same ones on my 86, so when I get it finished I'll try to post up some results.

All that post show's is someone putting on some 50 trim .42/.48 turbo's. The .42/.48's are the absolutle smallest I would run on a stock 5.0L. Once you start pushing them past 400h/p they start getting way out of their effeciency range. In other words, you start pushing superheated air into the combustion chambers which leads to massive detonation. A meth kit and/or intercooler can help...but only to a certain point.

If indeed the original poster's qestion was about 50 trim t3's, then yes...they will work.

listen to millhouse. i would add some but i am short for time right now. for what its worth i run a single turbo with 8 psi and.... well i popped a head gasket but thats mainly my fault.