Need input on Crane Hi-6S CD Ignition & Coil Kit

criticman

Sep 7, 2003
Rome, GA
  • Sponsors (?)

I have the Crane box and coil... But no mods done to my car to tell you if I saw any changes.

I'll say that my car starts a lot faster and idles so good now though. I'm getting excited to drive it around and see if the mileage goes up with the box + coil.

I have the MSD Blaster TFI coil. I really like the Crane kit I am questioning from everything I have read on it. Just wondering if I should do the kit with the Crane coil or if I should keep using the MSD coil with the Crane Hi-6S ignition. Anybody?

I an sure the MSD coil would work just as well as the crane one. Especially since all of the coils are designed to work with the facotry systems so simply pluging in a box shouldn't change anything.

I love mine by the way. It has a build in limiter. Once day, I might need more features, but right now it works great!

Well, now that I check again...like mentioned, I have the MSD Blaster TFI Coil already. Thanks to some instant rebates from MSD & Summit, I can get the MSD 6A (no need for rev limiter since I have the PMS) & wiring harness for a few bucks less than the Crane kit I was questioning above. So...it looks like I am going the MSD route...and save $5 or so.

Just wanted to put this information up in case anyone comes across this thread later during a search.

The Crane Hi-6S is analog. It is CD though and has multi-spark at lower RPM's. Crane does not recommend using this ignition in any boosted application over 5 or 6 psi...or any high compression application.

I instead chose to go with the Crane Hi-6. This unit is CD as well, but is digital instead of analog. Fixed form, not harmed by vibrations.

Spark output comparison:
MSD 6A: 115 Millijoules
Crane Hi-6: 1,200 Millijoules

So, for my Novi 1000 setup with lot's of fuel, I purchased the Crane Hi-6.

I have the crane hi-6s kit on my car and I think its great. I really like that if it would fail you can just hook you stock ign. back up because it piggybacks the factory unit.

criticman said:
Crane Hi-6. This unit is CD as well, but is digital instead of analog

Spark output comparison:
MSD 6A: 115 Millijoules
Crane Hi-6: 1,200 Millijoules

So, for my Novi 1000 setup with lot's of fuel, I purchased the Crane Hi-6.

lol - the Hi-6 is 1200 mJ at low (idle) RPM when it fires 10 times per stroke, at above 3k or so it's 120mJ as it fires only once. Deceptive advertising there...