NEED MAYBE COIL OVER SHOCKS

TOM B

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Nov 15, 2002
Harrisburg Pa
On my 65 convert I have QA1 shocks all around and new Hp leaf springs and front lowering springs,
The problem is the car squats in the rear when I kick in the supercharger.
The rear tires are already close to the fender lip and just a inch squat and the lips rub, I did a little fender lip bending but still hits the tires.
Is there a shock, maybe a coil over Im thinking to solve this problem made for the mustang.
Tom

• Sponsors (?)

Use of "coil-over" shocks (sometimes called "load levelers), air shocks or any type of weight support/body raising units in place of regular shock absorbers is a "BAD" idea. Both the lower and especially upper shock mounts were not designed to handle/support any weight and may/will get damaged by asking them to do so. They are only strong/sturdy enough to handle the stress of the shock absorbers "dampening/controlling" the up and down movement. That being said, I've seen some folks use them for years with no problems and other folks who experienced cracking and deformed upper shock mounts in a short time. Trust me when I say that the upper shock mount area is NOT a place that you want to have to repair if not needed. I suggest that you:
A>Add an extra leaf to the springs
B>Have a spring shop put a bit more arch in your spings
C>Get different springs
D>Go one or two sizes smaller on your tires
E>1/4"-1/2" more back space on the wheels
F>Narrower rear end
I'm sure this is not what you wanted to hear, but reality is reality! I'm in a similar situation, as I have nice new standard eye Maier 4 1/2 leaf units on my 68 and the front of the car sits between 1/4" & 1/2" higher (or rear 1/4"-1/2" lower), in relation to the rear than I want. Unfortunately, I can't go any lower on the front without tires rubbing on dips. I feel and share your pain:( Let us know what you come up with for a solution.
Gene

Good traction bars like some caltracs would solve that for you. Leaf wrap is causing squat and the force that causes it would be used by the caltracs to push down on the leaf where the wrapping starts

I have nice new standard eye Maier 4 1/2 leaf units on my 68 and the front of the car sits between 1/4" & 1/2" higher (or rear 1/4"-1/2" lower), in relation to the rear than I want. Unfortunately, I can't go any lower on the front without tires rubbing on dips. I feel and share your pain:( Let us know what you come up with for a solution.
Gene
thats typical how any suspension sits. I have yet to see a mustang sit level with new suspension parts. Thats why i cut my front coils.

+1 on what they said. I hadn't thought about the Cal-Tracs etc.

iskwezm,
I already cut my coils a little and I can't go any lower on the front, unless I want to"shrink" my front (225/60/15) tires or shrink the 15X8X4.25 back space wheels. I like the same size tires/wheels on all 4 corners. Not to mention if I shrunk the front wheels/tires to allow more lowering it would increase the visual gap between the tire and fender lip requiring me to lower it even more:eek:Thanks for the thoughts anyways.:D
Gene