Need more performance...without risking my engine...

MustangThief

Founding Member
Nov 7, 2001
Cleveland, Ohio
What can I really do? I don't want to throw nitrous or a supercharger on my car without building the bottom end up because I don't want to risk my engine just to get a summers worth of HP out of my engine.... it's got 40k miles on it and runs strong but it just doesn't have enough beef for me....

I'm seriously considering just trying to sell my mustang and finding a used 03 cobra... i feel like i might as well just start over and since i'm still making the payment on my 99 GT (450 a month) i might as well sell it and get another big payment for an 03 cobra..... you can see my dyno numbers below... it's just disappointing to feel like if I throw a supercharger on it without keeping a keen eye on my tune I'll feel like my engine is on a short timer :(

Suggestions? Comments? :(

• Sponsors (?)

I mean if you get a used 03 Cobra, you will have a much better base to start of with and also you will have warranty if you feel content with 380 hp at the wheels.

If you want the utmost of security, go with a used cobra

MustangThief said:
What can I really do?..... you can see my dyno numbers below... (

I would say that you really need to get your car tuned. I have an '01 GT VERT(auto) with CAI, SLP LMI Catback and a predator Tune. On stock tires I ran a 14.2 at the track. You have gears, LT's, and your car is stick. I think either you need better tires, or your car is not properly tuned for your modifications. See if there is anyone in your area that would let you borrow their Predator or X-Cal for a week and see if it makes a difference. I know it really woke my car up.

MustangThief said:
What can I really do? I don't want to throw nitrous or a supercharger on my car without building the bottom end up because I don't want to risk my engine just to get a summers worth of HP out of my engine.... it's got 40k miles on it and runs strong but it just doesn't have enough beef for me....

I'm seriously considering just trying to sell my mustang and finding a used 03 cobra... i feel like i might as well just start over and since i'm still making the payment on my 99 GT (450 a month) i might as well sell it and get another big payment for an 03 cobra..... you can see my dyno numbers below... it's just disappointing to feel like if I throw a supercharger on it without keeping a keen eye on my tune I'll feel like my engine is on a short timer :(

Suggestions? Comments? :(
First, lets review your situation. You're at a cross roads, or so it appears. You don't know if you should keep your Mustang, or buy an 03 Cobra. There is advantages and disadvantages to both. First, lets look at the advantages to keeping your car. If your car is paid for, then its paid for. That means you have no payments to worry about making on it, and since it's a 99 Model GT, you're probably going to have cheaper insurance on it than a 03 Cobra. That means you can use that extra money to build up your GT.

Now for the disadvantage of having the GT. The GT does not have forged internals, it has an iron block, which is heavier than the Aluminum blocks the Cobras have(at least I think the Cobra's all use a aluminum 4.6 block), and the GT motor is SOHC, where the Cobra motor is DOHC. Not to mention the Cobra comes with a supercharger, so between the previously mentioned features and the suprecharger, there is much room for expansion with the Cobra as compared to the GT.

Now, If you buy an 03 Cobra, you have to realize that it's going to cost more money to purchase it than what you will get out of your GT. How much the difference will be in price is going to vary. Second, it's going to cost more on insurance. Bearing all this in mind, still, the Cobra is supercharged, and has the options of expansion for more power as I mentioned above. The Cobra also has IRS, which is going to be a bit of a hold up when it comes to drag racing. Aside from that, the biggest disadvantage I see with the Cobra is how much it's going to cost you to get the Cobra, and how much money you will loose on your GT when you sell it. You need to do some shopping, some math, and come to the conclusion if you feel it's worth it.

IF it were me in your shoes, I'de probably keep the GT, and just modify it. I'de look into either purchasing forged internals w/ a supercharger. Or, I'de just look into swapping a 5.4ltr block in my car, get some high lift cams, and get my cylinder heads built up to support the bigger block beneath it. Either way, it would be a killer ride.

In the end, the choice is yours. Do some more research, and come to the conclusion of what you want to do based on that research. Thats the best advice I can give you.

Well the only problem I had with all this is this.... my car is paid off next September. I owe like 6k on my car... but how much can I get out of her if i were to sell her? Could I possibly look at getting 12k? It has really low miles and is really clean for the year. I have i think 39k on the clock now (2k of fake miles from the 4.10 gears before i got the speedcal ouch) but i have pics of it at www.angelfire.com/alt2/davesmustang

So next summer what would a hard top 03 cobra with low miles (20-30k) be going for?

Right my now my payment is 454 until next september.. i have no tickets in the last 3 years and i'm 22 so my insurance isn't too bad (which is why i never looked at getting a cobra until now) but since i've had a good standing with them with my GT (and a GSX-R 600 on the same policy) i have no claims either.

Basically I want to do this but i need to know some things 1) my car goes to someone who will treat her GOOD, where can i post her up? I don't want someone to not take care of her, seriously. I've put a lot of heart and sweat and money into my vehicle to let some kid **** her up as he leaves my driveway. 2) I wouldn't be paying over 300 a month for the cobra when i purchased it.... i'm no good at the payment calculating but i wouldn't wanna be over 300 for the cobra per month.... i'd use all the extra cash from my stang to put down on the 03 cobra as well.... so whatever i made from her...

Decisions decisions :(

the cobra is definatly alluring, no doubt. lord knows i'd kill for one. however, you and I are almost exactly alike in our prospects. based on the finances of sheer loss of the GT and the new cost of the cobra it just would not be worth it for me (and possible you) to go to the cobra. you really need to look into getting some heads and cams for the GT to get you back in synch with your car. Also, are you a drag guy, or more for the corners? i personally am a corner guy, so i find myself leaning into suspension to keep me from losing interest in my GT. you might want to do the same.

there are a LOT of cheap mods out there that, though they dont make any power, keep the car shining in your eyes. New seats, shifter, steering wheel, stereo, racing stripes, new girlfriend that beggs you 2 months ago to be bent over the hood with the engine running.... (cams will be the next engine mod for me :cool: )... none of these things add power, however i find myself getting hooked again each time i do something. also, do all your own work. because of the greater appreciation for the labor that goes into the car, i seem to get amore alured then i did when a shop did installs.

keep the mod costs low, go eon step at a time, but keep modding once every 2 months. this seems to be the math that keeps me from going out and selling my car and losing a load of money. you may disagree, just something to consider.

Torinalth

I just paid 18k for a used 04 GT...with 22k miles on it...and in my area, that was a pretty good price. An 03' Cobra, I've seen them around here for about 20k or so with decent mileage. Never know what you'll get with a used Cobra though. I'm guessing based on a decent interest rate, 20k a year for 5 years would be about 375-400 a month.

Then again, you should see some of the numbers the KB 2.2 puts down on a 4.6 2v engine. That S/C responds amazingly with our cars, but you'd definately need a strong bottom end for that.

I'm kinda in the same situation as you.. I really wanted to build up my heads w/ new cams, shortblock, and then pick up a kb 2.2. But for me to save up for allll of that it'll take forever. That's why I'm going with a mongoose kit from MPH. You could get one of those kits and push anywhere from 350-400 at the wheels and when you save up again change out the block and then turn up the boost :D

If you can afford the cobra though go for it! I just got my car last year and there's no way I could get rid of the GT without losing a butt ton of money. Not to mention I'm only 20 so the insurance would be killer