Need new clutch (advice)

04gtdrop

Jun 10, 2005
Sac, CA
Ok so i'm pretty sure my T/O bearing is bad and its time to get a new clutch anyways....

I was wondering what would be a good replacement for clutch thats better than OEM but nothing to stiff or crazy.

Also, is a lighter fly wheel worth the extra $$ ???

Last question is, where can I find a good clutch kit at a good price?
What are some name brands to buy and what should I stay away from?

Some other the other threads talk about King Cobra, spec and Center Force.

FYI... I'm going through a divorace :OT: so I'm on a budget :(

I need to try and order the clutch kit by today or this weekend at the latest...

Thanks guys

• Sponsors (?)

Stock flywheel will be fine for you. Just get it resurfaced. As far as the clutch goes, I had a king cobra in my old gt. It was cheap and worked great! It was a little heavy though. A lot of people run the spec 1's and the centerforce dfx. I have heard the centerforce dfx's have a light pedal feel, so if you are looking at something that feels stock, I would say centerforce is the way to go! :nice:

Side note, my car is a 2004 GT.

Also whats the difference with the 10 spline vs the 26 spline?

and 6 bolt vs 8 bolt???

And whats the deal with 10.5 inch vs. 11 inch plates?

What will fit my car?

Do I need to worry about the clutch cable and or a clutch cable adjuster???

Thanks

Side note, my car is a 2004 GT.

Also whats the difference with the 10 spline vs the 26 spline?

and 6 bolt vs 8 bolt???

And whats the deal with 10.5 inch vs. 11 inch plates?

What will fit my car?

Do I need to worry about the clutch cable and or a clutch cable adjuster???

Thanks

10 spline is stock on Mustang transmissions, the 26 is for upgraded ones or TKO trannys.

Your car is 6 bolt flywheel. (All Cobra's are 8 bolt and 96 to 01 GT's are 8. 01-04 are 6 bolt.

the T3650 your car has is an 11 incher. Look for flywheels (Spec, Fidanza), or anything that fits your T3650.

Your stock clutch cable is fine, but since you or your mechanic are in there just replace the quadrant and firewall adjuster with Maximum Motorsports pieces, if I have to do it again I will. I bought a UPR cable and it snapped within a month of being on my car. The MM is designed around your stock clutch cable. Let us know what you decide!

I put a Fidanza 2.1 clutch in mine with a Fidanza aluminum flywheel and have been very happy with it. I also put in a steeda quadrant and firewall adjuster at the same time. A complete night & day difference from the stock stuff. The Fidanza clutch kit is very resonably priced from American Muscle. I had the flywheel already from an exchange on a wheel I sent back from my last car.

And for anyone that is wondering what it feels like with the aluminum flywheel in. Well, the change in how quickly & freely the engine revs, and how much more peppy it feels is about the same as what I felt when I went from stock gears to 4.10's. Quite a difference and well worth the money IMO.

I'm using the centerforce dfx clutch which is the best in my opinion. But don't be like me and order a fidanza flywheel to go with it because the dowel pins on the flywheel are too fat for the holes on the clutch pressure plate!
I learned the hard way and had the tedious painstaking nightmare of enlarging the holes with a drill. Not fun! I was fortunate that it worked. Make sure the parts you use work with one another.

I went with a "Ram" throw out bearing which I also feel is the best however it's $99. After putting up with the chirping noise of the OEM tb for several years, it was money worth spent.

"Blownstang" is right, just stick with the stock flywheel. They are not that expensive so I would buy a new one if I were you.

pull the clutch fork cover off... where the cable goes in...
start the car and squir a little motor oil on the input shaft... have someone move the clutch back and forth while your doing it...

the throwout bearling needs a little lube on the shaft... your prolly experiencing a crunchy feeling in the clutch right??? just not smooth..

lube the bearing up and run it till its shot

ww

Hey, Boys and Girls...I'm shopping clutches. I have a stock '05 GT, 4.6 , 5 speed. It has the TR-3650 5-speed. If you can, tell me if it has the 10 spline or 26 spline. AM and LMR offer both config.s. I suspect it's a 10 spline input, and a six bolt flywheel .

Please give your thoughts.

Jason