Need new Laptop, suggestions pleae

DropTopPony

Noob Slayer
Founding Member
Aug 13, 2002
south jersey
I'm in the market for a new laptop...something cheap and basic. I already have a powerbook G4. This is for my girl to use, i don't like her touching my computer. What do you suggest? $700-1000 range.

• Sponsors (?)

Find a Toshiba with at least the following

Intel centrino Processor 1.73 or above preferably 2.0
512MB DDR2 RAM
Everything else is fluff not really necesity

expect to spend 1100 or more otherwise your puting yourself in the crap boat and could be buying yourself some problems.

Sony notebooks are so over priced its not funny.

I haev a Dell Inspiron 700m that I bought nearly 2 years ago now that has been awesome for me, but I travel alot so I like the light weight. It weights 4lbs with the battery.

I paid $850 two years ago when Dell was running a $750 instant rebate.

i buy laptops for between $500-$600. I absolutely will not pay more than that. I've bought 3 toshibas and a Compaq. All are great--love toshiba. You have to consider what you'll actually use the laptop for. I don't play video games, no video editing, All I need it for is surfing, email, make cd's, stor dig. pics, and the odd task in MS-Office.
Celeron processor does me just fine...just make sure you have at least 512 ram, if the computer doesn't come with it but all else is good-just buy some extra ram--it's cheap.

I love my powerbook, but my wife wouldn't have one. So I got her another Dell. THey have a nice deal right now for a dual core 1.66mhz 1gb ram, 100gb hd, dvd burner and 15.4" screen for 800 bux. I changed out a few things (smaller HDD and no burner) and got the better screen and wifi/BT all for right at 1000 bux shipped

should be in today :)

AmBo said:
You just bought like $5,000 in car parts and now are going to shell out more for a lappy?! Let's trade bank accounts...
haha i'm 10 years older and have dual incomes...your bank account will be just as nice as mine in a few years :D just find some good investments while your young like i did.

haha your right, i put off major mods for 10 years because i kept dumping money into investments like rental properties. I finally got tired of looking at the Mustang in the back yard just sitting all pathetic and dumped some coin into it.
I should have bought SVO heads/Blower 10 years ago...oh well. You live at home..this blower won't break you...DO IT DO IT