Need new rack and pinion?

Purple_Stang

Apr 11, 2005
Colorado
I took my '97 GT into the dealer today to look at a power steering fluid leak I have been noticing. They told me I need an all new rack and pinion steering. Price: $830. Is it really that likely that the entire rack and pinion assembly needs repair? I don't want them putting in a whole new rack and pinion unit if it could be just a seal or broken line or something.

If it really does need the whole unit, is it something you can do yourself (i'm mechanically inclined)?

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

well if it's the rack and pinion. you should be able to do it yourself. just remove the power steering lines two mounting bolt tierod ends. and unbolt the steering shaft and she will fall right out! it a very easy job. but the car will need to be realigned after the install.
a lift makes this very a easy job but can be done on the ground just a little more time consuming.

Yea I second this do it youre self idea! I have changed 2 stang racks (easy job) and you can get a used rack for $150 from stangparts.com add 40 for and alignment and you got yourself a fixed problem!.......jj :flag:

Thanks all. I did some other reading on this topic, and I agree with you all, I am just going to do it myself. Looks like for about $300 (including alignment), I can do what the dealer wants over $800 for.