Need new rear brake calipers...suggestions?

StangIt #1

Founding Member
Oct 25, 2001
Washing the Car
The rear passenger-side caliper is apparently sticking on my '98GT, because the pad has worn at nearly twice the rate as the driver's side pad. The brake pads are original at 71K miles, and the rear driver's side pad still has nearly 1/2 remaining. The passenger's side pad is completely worn out, so I can only assume that the caliper is sticking. These are the options that I've considered for replacement:

1. Bullitt rear calipers, because I think the rotor size is the same. Is there really any difference between these rear calipers and the stock GT ones?

2. Re-manufactured Cobra calipers, because I can get them from AutoZone for about $10/caliper more than the GT calipers. Will these fit the stock rotors? I'm not sure of the actual rotor size on my car.

Any other suggestions/opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

StangIt #1 said:
So in other words, the extra cost of the Cobra or Bullitt rear calipers is to pay for the fancy black or red paint on them? :notnice:

Not exactly, the caliper bracket is different. It's a little wider to accomodate the 1.0" thick Cobra rotor. The GT rotor is only about 1/2" thick. Also, they use different pads.

The calipers though are the same 94-04 all used the same rear calipers. You are just paying extra for fancy paint...which can be done yourself if you want the bullitt look like i did
View attachment 512534