need quick answer about buying

UPDATE (7/18/2011): check it out here -> http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/842208-my-new-98-gt-lots-pics-inside.html
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!!

UPDATE (7/11/2011): I bought it!!!

should i buy it?!?! no pics, just details. Trust me when I tell you it's mint.
I've had only a 93 GT (and a 91 for a very short time), so this whole 4.6 thing is Greek to me. The only thing that sounds sketchy to me is there's no mention of fuel pump. I think the 60lb injectors are big for this. This is like your standard 42#, 255lph pump combo. Do you think the 60lbs are to make up for fuel starvation from factory pump? I feel like this would be a very rich running combo? We do have a good tuner in town I could bring it to (Tune Time Performance, NJ)...or even Big Daddy Performance who's local.

98 GT, 66,000miles:
Car has a vortec S-trim w/ cobra impeller tuned to put out 11 lbs of boost along with a power pipe. The motor also has steeda underdrive pulleys (not A/C for boost purposes), 60lb/hr injectors, accufab upper plenum and throttle body, MAC 2.5" prochamber with a MAC 2.5" cat back with 3" stainless tips and a custom tuned chip. The suspension is a steeda G-trac stage 1 kit (shocks, struts, sway bar/strut tower brace) the car is lowered approximately 1.25" with 3.55 gears and full length FRPP subframe connectors. The interior is primarily factory with the exception of A-pillar auto meter gauges (boost, water temp, fuel pressure). I am the second owner and have had the car for over 10 years and have invested over $22K into it with all receipts. Buyer is responsible for pickup/shipping. I also have an additional set of rear 10.5" dished rims that can be negotiated for in addition with the sale of the car.

• Sponsors (?)

should i buy it?!?! no pics, just details. Trust me when I tell you it's mint.
I've had only a 93 GT (and a 91 for a very short time), so this whole 4.6 thing is Greek to me. The only thing that sounds sketchy to me is there's no mention of fuel pump. I think the 60lb injectors are big for this. This is like your standard 42#, 255lph pump combo. Do you think the 60lbs are to make up for fuel starvation from factory pump? I feel like this would be a very rich running combo? We do have a good tuner in town I could bring it to (Tune Time Performance, NJ)...or even Big Daddy Performance who's local.

98 GT, 66,000miles:
Car has a vortec S-trim w/ cobra impeller tuned to put out 11 lbs of boost along with a power pipe. The motor also has steeda underdrive pulleys (not A/C for boost purposes), 60lb/hr injectors, accufab upper plenum and throttle body, MAC 2.5" prochamber with a MAC 2.5" cat back with 3" stainless tips and a custom tuned chip. The suspension is a steeda G-trac stage 1 kit (shocks, struts, sway bar/strut tower brace) the car is lowered approximately 1.25" with 3.55 gears and full length FRPP subframe connectors. The interior is primarily factory with the exception of A-pillar auto meter gauges (boost, water temp, fuel pressure). I am the second owner and have had the car for over 10 years and have invested over $22K into it with all receipts. Buyer is responsible for pickup/shipping. I also have an additional set of rear 10.5" dished rims that can be negotiated for in addition with the sale of the car.

I'm sure he probably just forgot to mention the pump, when you get a mod list that big you forget about some stuff. I would imagine its probably in great condition, 66,000 miles isn't nothin, mine has 114k and its blown. He says hes been the owner for 10 years, someone like that you can probably bet has taken damn good care of it. I would take it for a test drive and see how it performs under boost and go from there.

The 60's are definitely over kill, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It needs an SVT focus pump put in for sure.

Most people buy the vortech kit which comes with the upgraded fuel pump. But stumbaugh has a good point, make sure that an upgraded pump was put in. The 60 lb injectors are overkill but you dont necessarily have to step down to 42's. As long as it is dyno tuned for those injectors it will just run at a lower duty cycle and run just fine.

If the internals of the block haven't been upgraded to forged components you will be limited to the power the car is probably putting out now (~upper 300- just below 400rwhp on a npi block). If in the future you wanted more power, to be safe (most people say 400rwhp is the limit for the connecting rods and pistons in these motors), it will require opening up the block and swapping components.

thanks for the help guys; I think I'm going to do it. It does have the vortech t-rex + in tank pump. It drives awesome under boost, and just regular cruising too.

I just want something that's fun and can go driving whenever, and I think this is it. It does have a custom tune; someone had asked. I just need to bring myself to part with my 93. I've had it for 8 years and love it, but it's in need of time & money in order to get back on the road...two things I don't have much of. So it's been sitting for the better part of 3 years. I just want to be able to drive my car on the weekends and enjoy it.

I feel pretty good and will certainly post up pics & info if I do get it!

I just didnt know too much about the 96-98 2v engines; reliability, boost handling, etc. I know they're some of the biggest factory turd's, which is why I'm asking. It's been supercharged for 3-4 years and seems fine; no smoke, runs nice, no CEL. I just was afraid of buying it and having to work on it or blow the motor...cause then it'll be sitting for another 3 years. It seems like a decent modular crate engine runs in the 6k range too...I see a lot of 99-up ones and saying "modification required" for 96-98; any clue what that is?

It really is a beautiful car though; inside & out.

The seller seems to know alot about the car and spent alot of money on it. The only thing that throws me off is the fact that he is running underdriven pulleys with a blower. I'd immediately put stock ones on it as soon as you buy it because underdriven pulleys do not react to well to boost, they are only used on NA cars I believe.

The NPI and PI 4.6 engines are very reliable. There are a few members here (myself included) with around 150K miles on the 96-98 Mustangs still running strong w/o burning oil. Ford may not have provided the greatest factory performance with the 96-04 stangs, but they nailed the reliability and exhaust note :drool:

The NPI and PI 4.6 engines are very reliable. There are a few members here (myself included) with around 150K miles on the 96-98 Mustangs still running strong w/o burning oil. Ford may not have provided the greatest factory performance with the 96-04 stangs, but they nailed the reliability and exhaust note :drool:

+1 Nothin sounds better than a mustang....

thanks for all the opinions guys!! I wound up buying it! It's sitting in my garage as I type this.
The insurance is done and heading to the DMV at lunch so hopefully I can drive it tonight!

Needs some bigger tires for sure though; the skinny little 245's look silly in the back. I'll have to put a full listing & pic detail thread up so you guys can check it out.

It was a little sad seeing my 93 go though last night; I really did love that car.