(need quick answer)Starting the floor pans...

brtnstrns

Dec 19, 2003
Lewisville, TX
I'm gonna be doin my floor pans one at a time. If i do them one at a time do i need to still support the car with something? I"m not planning on putting in cross members or whatever. If i do one floor pan at a time (cutting it out then welding it in then doing the other one) do i still need to have support for the car? If so how do i do that?

• Sponsors (?)

Well, support is one of those things I don't think you can ever over do. One at a time is the right idea to keep it straight as possible. Because you have a hard top, you may be fine if you leave the doors closed while you do it, but if it sinks in even a little before the new one is fully tacked in place, you could run the risk of having a tight sticking door. To be safest you should open the door and tack in a temporary brace across the opening before removing the old pan and remove it after the new one is in place, that would insure that your before and after dimensions stay the same.

we've got the right floor pan completely gone and the left side is so rusted all we basically have to do is knock the "pan" or whatevers left of it out of the car and grind the sides to smoothness. so tomorrow we're gonna cut out the tail panel and the rest of the floor pan. Then starting friday probably we'll begin the welding.....just an update

cardude said:
question on this as well. I have rust between the floor and the firewall from a pesky leak, what gauge steel would I want to use to replace the small strip that has rusted through?

20 gauge ought to do it. Be sure to use some POR-15 or Eastwood Rust Encapsulator on your new sheet metal. Also use ample amounts of seam sealer as your final task.