Need some expert advice, i think i have a problem

tomst9

Founding Member
Jun 17, 2002
Bethlehem Pa
I just recently put h/c/i on my car. I've been driving it around and i decided to change my oil. This is the second time i did it since i switch my stuff out. When i drained the oil it look like a gunmetal color. I have one of those magnetic drain plugs and when i pulled that out it had some metal shavings on it. It never had them before so i figured i cut the oil filter open and take a look. when i cut it open and drained the remaining oil out of the filter, it look ike a gunmetal metallic paint with even some gold streaks in it. What would be causeing this? Am i detonating. I have my fp set at 45 with the stock injectors.
thanks in advance
tom
i'm going to take a look at the plugs tonight. Maybe that will tel me if i'm detonating or something

• Sponsors (?)

Usually thats a sign that your bearings are losing material due to wear. I suppose chronic detonation could hammer the bearings enough for them to lose metal. Is your oil pressure good and consistent? How does the engine run overall? How many miles?

65ShelbyClone said:
Usually thats a sign that your bearings are losing material due to wear. I suppose chronic detonation could hammer the bearings enough for them to lose metal. Is your oil pressure good and consistent? How does the engine run overall? How many miles?

It has 63000 miles on it. it ran great before the swap and it seemed to be running good after the swap at least i thought. The oil pressure was readijng fine. I stare at the guage because i am always worried about that. The oil only had less that 1000 miles on it and it was completly black. Is that blow by or is there gas or something getting into my oil? I never noticed any detonation and i don't run agressive timing. Its set at 16*
thanks for the reply
tom

i pulled the first two plugs on the drivers side. and they are a light gray almost white. I looked at the insulator to see if there were any specks. The were very small black ones. You can barely see them unless you are looking for them. I don't know

sounds like you damaged the cam bearings on the cam install. did you take a magnet to it to see if it would pick any of it up, if it dont its definately bearing. one thing you can check is to take off one valve cover and run it if you have adaquate oil comming out of the rocker squirt holes. if there is you can probably get by, cam bearings are fairly forgiving as long as they're not completely gone and will allow flow up to the lifters. for the magnetic stuff sometimes a new timing chain will give off a little.

i would put another 500 or so miles on it and check it again

ashford said:
sounds like you damaged the cam bearings on the cam install. did you take a magnet to it to see if it would pick any of it up, if it dont its definately bearing. one thing you can check is to take off one valve cover and run it if you have adaquate oil comming out of the rocker squirt holes. if there is you can probably get by, cam bearings are fairly forgiving as long as they're not completely gone and will allow flow up to the lifters. for the magnetic stuff sometimes a new timing chain will give off a little.

i would put another 500 or so miles on it and check it again
I'll try it out ad see what happens. I tryed to put a magnet in the but i didn't have on small enough
thanks
tom