Need Some Help Identifying A Steering Noise.

Bornstanger

Uncle 'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me'er
Founding Member
Oct 20, 2001
Strongsville, OH
Hey guys I have a noise coming from the car and hopefully some other opinions or those with more knowledge than me can help pinpoint it.

The noise occurs when I move my steering wheel from side to side in a quick fashion. Basically if you were just jerking the wheel back and forth like a spazz. It's a small clunking noise that sounds like it's moving back and forth, or side to side if you will, that follows the steering wheel. The noise does not occur under normal steering operation or full lock to lock. Easiest way I found to reproduce the sound consistently is at a stand still and rocking the steering wheel back and forth real quick.

I'm personally thinking that it's the steering rack bushings are finally wearing out and need replacing. However like I said, I could always use another's advice and knowledge. Thanks in advance for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

Things to check include:

• rack bushings
  • inner and outer tie rod ends
  • rag joint
  • steering shaft slip-joint
  • lower ball joints
  • wheel bearings

Get under it and start inspecting. It would help if you could have a friend move the wheel while you're under it and looking for lost motion and/or locating clunking noises.