Need some help with a decision (might be selling the stang)

BlackArtemis

Dated 4 Amandas. Nothing special. Got the job done
Founding Member
Sep 23, 2002
West Chester, PA
Ok, so I was just offered another teaching job to go back to Thailand. idea is to take it and be on the outlook for an international school and make even better money. I plan on selling my 2005 Accord but I might have to sell the stang too because there may be no place to store it.

But she is in a bit rough condition cosmetically, her paint is kinda :poo:, peppered in the front and 2 scrapes of decent size on each side near the scoops. She needs a new battery, new valve gaskets and has a rough idle that I can't figure out. Not sure if she will pass PA inspection due to having no EGR as well and has been out of inspection for like 1 year plus.

The good is that she has minor mods, LT's back and only 59,000 miles on her for being a 2002.

My nephew offered 5,500 cash for her as is.
The other option is to replace the battery and gasket and figure out the leak and try to pass inspection/emissions if she fails, replace the EGR and then clean her up as much as I can and sell her.

The final choice is to do all the above and respray if it costs $1500 or less and try to get 8-9k for her, but I would only be taking in 6500-7000 profit.

What would you guys do?

I would be sad to see her go, but if I return in a few years I will pick up a used 2011 5.0

• Sponsors (?)

The only thing to make myself feel better about this is the possibility of building something like this over there

Most cars are crazy expensive over there. Rules on engine size, horsepower, import etc etc. A 2006 mustang costs $140,000 a 3 series costs like $90,000. So when you see things like a Cayane turbo, you know its like 300k. So V8's are not in abundance and the remaining muscle in country have 1jz or 2jz swaps in them (think fast and the furious 3...) But a fastback celica with a toyota 4.0 1uzfe is surprisingly cheap. Like maybe 7-10k to build it. I might have to pack some SLP lm1's to be welded on haha

Sell it as is. $1500 would get you a chitty paint job and it would hardly be worth the effort. I bet a good detailer could restore the paint to better than new condition for under $400. You'd still have the chips and scrapes but they would be less noticeable if you found a reputable detailer. Check Autopia.com for recommended detailers in your area. Then you have a choice to make, either fix the EGR and get it running right or sell it as-is.

Being that your relative is offering you $5500 as is, that may be the best deal of all. 99-04 GT's aren't selling for much these days.

Yeah, that's what I am leaning towards, and he is graduating highschool right now and planning on going into autobody. He's a bright kid and realizes the money is on the business side and is going to be taking classes in business as well. Lucky for him his older brother is marrying into one of the biggest autobody repair shops in the area haha.

Blackartemis where do you live? As from my other post you know I am a mobile auto detailer. You can send me pics of your stang and if you do not live too far away I can travel and try to get your pony looking as good as she can possible look with out a re paint. Im located in NY about 40 minutes north of NYC.

Ok, so I was just offered another teaching job to go back to Thailand. idea is to take it and be on the outlook for an international school and make even better money. I plan on selling my 2005 Accord but I might have to sell the stang too because there may be no place to store it.

But she is in a bit rough condition cosmetically, her paint is kinda ****, peppered in the front and 2 scrapes of decent size on each side near the scoops. She needs a new battery, new valve gaskets and has a rough idle that I can't figure out. Not sure if she will pass PA inspection due to having no EGR as well and has been out of inspection for like 1 year plus.

The good is that she has minor mods, LT's back and only 59,000 miles on her for being a 2002.

My nephew offered 5,500 cash for her as is.
The other option is to replace the battery and gasket and figure out the leak and try to pass inspection/emissions if she fails, replace the EGR and then clean her up as much as I can and sell her.

The final choice is to do all the above and respray if it costs $1500 or less and try to get 8-9k for her, but I would only be taking in 6500-7000 profit.

What would you guys do?

I would be sad to see her go, but if I return in a few years I will pick up a used 2011 5.0

Blackartemis where do you live? As from my other post you know I am a mobile auto detailer. You can send me pics of your stang and if you do not live too far away I can travel and try to get your pony looking as good as she can possible look with out a re paint. Im located in NY about 40 minutes north of NYC.

30 mins outside of Philly. I will take some shots of her today.
Selling some other things today so a new battery will go in her this week and then I will try to get rid of the rough idle.
and Holy crap, trying to liquidate 2 cars, a piano and tons of small things in 3 weeks? CRAZY

The only thing to make myself feel better about this is the possibility of building something like this over there

Most cars are crazy expensive over there. Rules on engine size, horsepower, import etc etc. A 2006 mustang costs $140,000 a 3 series costs like $90,000. So when you see things like a Cayane turbo, you know its like 300k. So V8's are not in abundance and the remaining muscle in country have 1jz or 2jz swaps in them (think fast and the furious 3...) But a fastback celica with a toyota 4.0 1uzfe is surprisingly cheap. Like maybe 7-10k to build it. I might have to pack some SLP lm1's to be welded on haha

All those cars look and sound badass!!!! Is that in Thailand?

All those cars look and sound badass!!!! Is that in Thailand?
No, that one isn't in Thailand.
This one is though:

There is some left over muscle in Thailand, but a lot of it has been hacked up and now have Japanese motors in them. Since importing parts is an extra 30% and a lack of knowledgeable mechanics. But there are classic car clubs, more so in Bangkok, so you see awesome things like:

or

Tons of Harley's though, but they are 20-30k
A decent all original American V8 is going to be pricy to buy and maintain, but they will barely lose value and might even gain.

Here we go, only $90,000 for a restored fastback! http://www.classiccarclubphuket.com/MustangFastback.html

But I have seen decent condition cars go for 10-20k Such as a ratrod much like the one above for $12,000 It has a Ford 351 too
Chevelles run 25-35k, so if you have 20-40k to spend, you can get a classic. I don't have that money and probably won't have it with the career choice of being a teacher in Asia haha.
olr7bas71