need some help

jostang50.

Jan 29, 2009
chicago
i have 87 notch 5.0, when i turn the engine off, there is a clinging sound coming from the passenger side of the motor for 3- 5 seconds then slowly stops. im thinking its bad lifter, any idea? motor is pretty much stock, only have full exhaust,no cats, e-cam, i dont know why the car is density. previous owner had it in the car, so i'm in the process of converting it to mass air. i only had the car for 2 weeks. im new here, so any help will appreciated. thank you:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

The headers or exhaust pipes may be cooling down and making noise as the metal contracts. Open the hood and have someone shut down the engine while you look for the source of the noise.

Here's some help on Mass Air Conversion:
MASS air conversion instructions from MAF - Mustang Mass Air Conversion - StangNet - The Mustang Network FREE
A9L (5 Speed) computer from junkyard $100-$150
A9P (Auto or in a pinch, 5 Speed) computer from junkyard $100-$150
70MM MAF from 94-95 Mustang GT - $40-$70
MASS Air wiring harness kit $30-$85

The whole thing is probably less than $300 using junkyard parts.

The conversion harness seems to work well for most folks. It avoids the compatibility problems in using a harness from the junkyard. Simple and cheap, it is actually less work that swapping the wiring harness. I have pulled the stock harness out of a wrecked car and it was like wrestling a big python.

Conversion Harness kits & parts
Interactive Systems & Technologies Mass Air Home Page
Ford Fuel Injection EFI Harness Pigtails

If the idea of moving & soldering wires scares you, here's a list of compatible Mass Air wiring harnesses.

Copied from bbunt302
Just for reference, here's a list of all the compatible years:

89 harness should work for 86-89 as long as you're using mass air.
90 harness will only work in a 90. (B/c of air bags and dual dash connectors)
91 through early 92 harnesses should be compatible (single dash connector, fuel pump relay under driver's seat)
Late 92 through 93 harnesses should be compatible (single dash connector, fuel pump relay under the hood)

Larger MAF to go with Mass Air conversion:
94-95 Mustang GT MAF - $40-$100. It is 70 MM instead of the stock 55 MM on regular stangs built prior to 94. It uses a slip on duct on the side that goes to the throttle body and a 4 bolt flange on the other. You need a flange adapter to fit the stock slip on air ducting that goes to the air box. Wiring plugs right in with no changes. *1 *2

*1.) Metal flange adapter Kurtz Kustomz Motorsports, Inc. KKM Buy the TR70 for $44.95. Or spend some time on eBay looking for one that may fit.
Try AutoZone and ask for 81413 - Spectre / 3 in. Aluminum Intake Mass Air Flow Sensor Adapter at $12.00. You may have to order it online.

*2.) MAF & sensor interchange
The 94-95 Mustang 5.0 MAF & sensor is also found on:
1995-94 Mustang 3.8L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Crown Victoria 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1995-94 Mustang, Mustang Cobra 5.0L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Town Car 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Grand Marquis 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
Evidently the –A1A, -A2A, AA, etc. on the end of the part number is a minor variant that did not change the operating specs. You should be able to ignore it and have everything work good.

A Also see www.fordfuelinjection.com for help with the harness parts http://rjminjectiontech.com/?p=10, and connector pins, RJM Injection Tech Ford Terminals:

i will recheck it later when i get home, that was the first tine i heard that noise. I bought the pig tail from ebay and waiting fot it to come, just need computer and mass air right now. i was thinking of installing cobra manifold, cobra mass air, 24# injectors, will that work or the 24# injectors are too much? thanks again for all info.

The stock 19 lb injectors are good for 258-275 HP. Unless you have aftermarket or ported heads, you won't need 24 lb injectors.

If you have the heads, then you will need either an aftermarket MAF that matches the injectors, a custom dyno tune and chip or the 93 Mustang Cobra computer and MAF. Ford's OEM scheme is to use the computer's firmware to match the injector size to the engine. Aftermarket MAFs fool the computer into matching the airflow to the injector size by changing the MAF’s output characteristics.