Need some ideas

crushnut

Apr 27, 2003
Oregon
I need some ideas from you guys to where i could bake my new headers to cure the paint i put on them ( has to get atleast 400 degrees for 15 minutes), and the oven in my house and on the car are not options :rolleyes: So whats your ideas, and places that you think would let me do it in there oven?

Thanks a bunch :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Know anyone that works at an italian restruant or pizza place? Pizza ovens are just the right size to do it. Newer places like papa johns and such use those belt type that wont do. Need the normal kind of oven.

I did this once

I hung the headers from some wire coat hangers with the collector down at a moderately small angle, just enough to let convection do its job, and fed heat into the collector end with a propane torch. I had to shield from the wind and turn them over to get them heated *sorta* uniformly. Took longer than 15 mins though. maybe a 1/2 hour - 1 hr to get them hot all around.

I stuffed a little fiberglass ins. material in the exhaut port holes as needed to slow down the flow and get ea. pipe heated somewhat equally.

Worked well.

Roy.

Kilns fire a lot hotter than 400 degrees. They essentially melt glass, but if you find someone willing, that knows what they are doing they could adjust it to work for you, heating time and cooling time will be a little long and the size may be only large enough for one at a time depending. Give it a try though. (Now pottery is something I know about) Those things get really hot, so make sure whoever is operating the kilm knows what they are doing. hey may make you buy some 400 degree cones to get the temp right, but those aren't too expensive, but make sure they know what they are doing, or it may get a lot hotter real quick and damage your headers. it will take a few hours to heat up and a few more to cool down (thoe things are designed to heat up to over 2300 degrees F

Could you possibly use a torpedo style space heater and make an oven out of sheetmetal that the heater could blow into. Just an idea.