Need some info please

cap42

Jul 23, 2003
Bolingbrook IL
Ok here goes I'm putting together a website with a database of mustangs. It will have fully customizable info for either stock or modified cars. Only problem is for the database to actually work I need tons and tons of info. Most sites I've come across have limited information or specific info for one area of the car or specific year.

I am doing this for increasing my knowledge but if it actually get's enough data and feedback it would be cool for this to be usefull to all of our fellow stangers out there so they may see what mustang came with what option or what performance enhancer will actually give bang for the buck as well as looks for shows.

If anyone could point me to some sites for any mustang info from 64 1/2 to current with info on both stock and modified info I would greatly apreciate it. The more info i get the more correct my database will be and the more usefull it would be for everyone who enjoyed using it.

Thanks in advance for any info provided.

:lol: yes I am a geek I do this stuff for fun

• Sponsors (?)

Here's a little info for your site

The very first mustang debuted in 1962 at Watkins Glen. it was a 2 seater coupe, with a 281 c.i. V8.

The 1964 1/2 Mustang came in two body options, Coupe or Vert. Buyers could get a 101 bhp 170 c.i. inline 6, a 164 bhp 260 c.i. V8, or a 210 bhp 289 c.i. V8. There were several wheel options and appearance accesories. And you could choose from a 3 speed automatic, 3 speed manual, or 4 speed manual transmission. Base price started at approx $2,300. The Fastback version debuted in october 1964.

Between 64 and 66 1 million mustangs were sold.

late 1964 - Inline six was upgraded to a 120 bhp 200 c.i. The 260 c.i. V8 was replaced with a 289 w/ a 2 barrel carb and the 4 barrel version was given 225 b.h.p. Also a better version of the 289 was added. It offered an autolite carb, cam, solid lifters, 10.5:1 compression, better air cleaner, dual exhaust, beefier connecting rods, larger bolts, and a bigger harmonic balancer. This resulted in 271 b.h.p. Wheels were upgraded to 14 inches on the V8's. The larger V8 came with a better suspension package and a 4 speed manual transmission standard. You could also have the drum brakes replaced with upgraded disc brakes, quicker steering, limited slip diff. and under dash a/c were also options.

Average 1/4 time for the 271 hp V8 was mid 15's and mid 16's for the 225 hp v8.

GT equipment option came with stiffer shocksand springs a tach and a clock ( which were mounted on the steering column ) were part of the Rally Pac option.

Options for the mid 60's Mustangs included:
271 hp V8 -----------------------------$328
4 Speed manual trans. -----------------$184
Limited Slip Diff. -----------------------$42
Rally Pac ------------------------------$70
GT package ---------------------------$165
Steel Wheels --------------------------$120
Power Steering ------------------------$85
Powered Convertable top ---------------$53
Delux seatbelts -------------------------$25
A/C ------------------------------------$277
Reverse lights --------------------------$11
Full Length Console ---------------------$50
Pony Interior ---------------------------$107
Tinted Windows ------------------------$30
Radio ----------------------------------$57
Deluxe Steering Wheel ------------------$31
Luggage Rack --------------------------$35
Tonneau Cover for Vert -----------------$53

If you got all the options on a Mustang it roughly equaled the price of a corvette.

1965 was the first year that Rack and Pinion steering were offered.

Upon making of the millionth mustang Ford released it's first commerorative Mustang, the Sprint 2000. This was just a simple dress up package for the inline 6 motors. It came with pinstripes, a center console, and a chrome air cleaner that said Sprint 2000.

The majority of 65's and 66's sold were three speed notchbacks.

1967 - 68 Mustangs had a few changes. The entire car was slightly bigger, suspension, steering, and brakes were all upgraded. Ford also added the option of a 320 b.h.p 390 c.i. big block V8.

The 390 was a cast iron block, cast iron crank, two bolt mains, hydraulic lifters and a 600 cfm Holley 4 barrell carb. The Gt option began to include, stiffer springs, adjustable gabriel shocks, 3.25:1 limited slip, front sway bar, 15 wheels with imitation wire hubcaps, and 16:1 steering.

There were approx 25K verts made and 42K fastbacks made in 1967.

Ford also added a tilt steering wheel ( $ 60 ), fold down rear seats ( $ 65 ), and cruise control for the V8 auto tranny's ( $ 71 ).

In 1968 Semon E. Bunkie and Larry Shinoda came from GM to Ford and helped design the Boss Mustangs. The Boss was originally to be called the SR-2. Shindoa was responsible for the front and rear spoilers on the mustangs, as well as the addition of 7 inch wide wheels on the boss models.

Boss packages ( released in 1969 ) included : Boss 302, Boss 351, and Boss 429 which was produced simply so the car would qualify for stock car racing.

April 1968 - the 428 Cobra Jet was introduced. It offered 400 b.h.p, 14 second 1/4 mile times, and a ram air hood scoop. The rear end was also upgraded to 3.50:1.

429's were made form nodular cast iron, 4 gallery lube system, 4 bolt mains, forged crank, forged rods, alloy heads, oversized valves ( 57.9 mm intake 48.3mm exhaust ), 735 cfm Holley 4 barrel carb, dual point distributor, Hydrualic lifters, mild cam, and free flowing exhaust. Cylinders were each sealed with copper rings instead of head gaskets and O-rings sealed the oil and water passages. 429 were notorious for running bearings due to poor oiling systems. Only 889 Boss 429 Mustangs were built and very few of them have survivied today.

Mach 1 Package was basically cosmetic. It included a flat black hood, fake air scoop, optional hood pins, pin stripes, chrome gas cap, painted mirrors, and a cosmetic suspension package. Mach 1's came standard with a 351 V8 w/ a 2 barrel carb.

In 1971 the Mustang recieved a major face lift. It was an inch longer than previous mustangs, and two inches wider. The 200 c.i. engine was replaced with a 250 c.i. 145 b.h.p. I-6. The 210 b.h.p 302 was the standard V8, followed by a 240 hp 351, 330 hp 351, and the 375 hp 429.

In 1972 the 429 and the Boss 351 were dropped. wich left the 351 Cobra Jet, 351 Cleveland, and the 250 I-6.

1973 the front grilles were changed slightly, painted front bumpers were added, and the performance continued to drop. 73 mustangs were approx 800lbs heavier than previous stangs.

125,093 mustangs were built in 72, 135,867 in 73.

Ok that's enough for tonight, I'll post the info on the 79 - 03 Mustangs later. I'll skip the Mustang II being as it almost destroyed the mustang name ( sorry any Mustang II owners )

MelliniumGT said:

1965 was the first year that Rack and Pinion steering were offered.

Please dont include that bit of information in any database. Mustangs got sloppy gearboxes with pitman arms, drag links, idler arms, and inner/ outer tie rods. The system is quite similar to what you would find on most late model trucks. Rack and Pinion steering didnt come from the factory until 1974 when it was stock on the much maligned Mustang II. I dont particularly care for Mustang IIs, but they have their place in history. Furthermore, they sold pretty well, so you cant blame Ford for making them. The rack and pinion steering setup from Mustang IIs is so good, you will literally find hotrodders, and restomodders salivating for a piece of it.

MelliniumGT said:

The very first mustang debuted in 1962 at Watkins Glen. it was a 2 seater coupe, with a 281 c.i. V8.

one more thing: the afformentioned Mustang is a 2 seat convertible and was not equipped with V8 power. It has a 91.4 cid V4 with a whopping 11:1 compression ratio. The clutch was hydraulic and it has a four speed transmission. The engine is located "midship" and there is no differential. The transmission gives the power directly to the axles that come out of its sides (similar to a modern front-wheel-trive transaxle). It has two radiators that are located behind black fins behind the doors on each side. I could imagine that this little car handles like a dream because it has about 100 horse power and weighs only 1544 soaking wet. All this info came from John Gunnel's book called "Mustang: the affordable sportscar." I recomend that book as well as Mustang Monthly's book called "The Mustang Recognition Guide" That book is excellent. Look for them on Half.com or in a mustang catalog.