Need some more cooling help

rd

Founding Member
Jan 12, 2000
Ocean Springs MS
I changed the heater core in the 89 four cylinder today, and the heater works fine. A new best time, as I posted in 5.0 tech, 5 hours and 33 mins!

I drove it the other night, and while idling, the temp gage finally went up about 3/4 of the way to the top, ie, the 240-250 range, and the cooling fan never came on.

I checked it today, and the fan works when 12 volts is applied.

With the ac on, (no belt) and the pressure switch jumpered, there appears to be 12 volts at the fan connector, but the fan won't run.

Any suggestions? Where is the fan relay. I am more concerned about the engine cooling than the ac right now.

• Sponsors (?)

If there seems to be 12 volts at the fan connector then the fan should be running. Id try to connect another 12v utility to the connector and see if it's really working (allthought a voltimiter should tell you that) I'd try another fan if you're really seeing 12v . The sending unit for the fan is on the driver side of the block, under the manifold, with a single wire leading to it. The Temp sensor is in the center of the lower intake under the injectors. I believe it is also the computers sensor.

2.3lxhatch, thanks. I turned the ac on, w/o a belt, and jumped the pressure switch, and got 12 volts at the fan connector, but the fan won't run. It runs fine if jumped to the battery.