Need some opinions about a beater Jeep Cherokee i want to buy

I'd go for it. I am currently lookin for a cheap jeep cherokee. You can lift them with f150 front springs and dakota rear springs FYI. You can get a 4 inch lift outta them for a total of like 150 bucks!! then another few hundred for a 3 " body lift and 600 for some 33-34s it will be ballin...*My plan exactly:D*

edit: Here you go, I don't know what year this ends with, but cool anyway

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Suspension_Steering_Axles_and_Brakes/Budget_Lift.htm

• Sponsors (?)

I drive daily a '94 sport model cherokee with the 4.0L, automatic. Runs good. I've had it for 2 yrs and gas mileage is similar to the stang. I have that lifter tick in mine also. Heard it was not anything to lose sleep over and it hasn't gotten worse. I did hear that the grand models had electrical and transmission issues and not to buy one.

If its got a strong 4L, then its hard to go wrong. The only thing I'd check is to see just how bad the leakage is around the slip yoke for the rear driveshaft when it comes out of the transfer case. The T-case on jeeps are notorious for blowing that rear seal.

As far as the track bar, those are easy as pie. The bushings can get really warn if someone articulates it a lot offroad w/o disconnecting it. Its a simple 2-bolt deal to swap it out. If its clean/no rust then I would go for $3k cash out the door. That would be my offer. If the dealer wants to move it, make the 3k pay for all the taxes, tags, etc.

I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD a few years back. I had the 5.2 with AWD though. Went through a tranny in the couple years I owned it, the electrical system went south, moon roof stuck open, heat worked half the time, locks didnt work, heads up displays went on me, etc... Bought the truck with higher mileage than yours though.

The 4.0 is solid as can be, the trannys I am not sure if they are the same as the 5.2 trucks, but I know mine went on me, and had been recently redone before I got it.

Truck drove great, comfy, fast as can be for an SUV, but had a lot of small nitpick issues with it.

I will say $4000 is too much for that truck. The price of them has come wau down. Now if it is perfect, and can give you 4 years of trouble free driving it is worth $3000-4000 I guess, but paying that for a 95 with 130K and not being the decked out version seems high to me.

we've had 5 jeep cherokees in our family ranging from 1986-1996. I swear by them. Ive had an 88 and i sold it with 252k miles running fine on all original drive train (front, rear, transfercase, engine, trans all original). My current jeep cherokee has 176k miles on it and it runs great. We got it for free with a blown engine (previous owner ran it with no oil). purchased an engine with 96k for 200 bucks from a junk yard, threw it in, and it runs perfect. I highly recommend them. Bad on gas though haha.

oh all of them were 4.0l's.. except the 86 was a 2.8 v6.. and that engine is a POS!

I'd go for it. I am currently lookin for a cheap jeep cherokee. You can lift them with f150 front springs and dakota rear springs FYI. You can get a 4 inch lift outta them for a total of like 150 bucks!! then another few hundred for a 3 " body lift and 600 for some 33-34s it will be ballin...*My plan exactly:D*

edit: Here you go, I don't know what year this ends with, but cool anyway

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Suspension_Steering_Axles_and_Brakes/Budget_Lift.htm

Good luck getting a body lift for a Unibody.

I've been racking this in my head for the last week. I cant decide what to do so i'll ask good ole Stangnet.

Asking $3995. It's a dealer. WHat do you guys think?? I really only want to pay $3K max for this truck.

Offer 3, and if they don't accept - friggin' walk :shrug:

That's how I got my G for what I wanted to pay. Flash a big fistful of cash and people start dealing a little more nicely :)

Offer 3, and if they don't accept - friggin' walk :shrug:

That's how I got my G for what I wanted to pay. Flash a big fistful of cash and people start dealing a little more nicely :)

That was my plan. I don't really want this jeep. I just need winter transportation. So i could care less about walking.

I was gonna go offer $2500 cash. It's still sitting there and hasn't moved. It's been over a week since i looked at it. I figure the longer it sits, the more willing he will be to negotiate.

I really want to get a g35x, but if i started searching now winter would be over before i found one i liked (white 2006 with black interior, sunroof and NAV with 18" sport wheels) and then i'd have to sell my GT because trade-in is crap. I'll wait for spring.

I just need something for 4-5 months, but it needs to last 1-2 years because i'll give it to my sister in the spring. She's a poor college kid and needs a car.

It'd probably be worth picking up for 2500.....not sure about that carfax history though.

I've got the 4.0 in my Wrangler....but it only has 33k miles on it, so its pretty early for any problems. But I've read like all the rest have said.....they are known to last forever.

Working underneath them is pretty easy. Toughest part is parts that are stuck....but usually some PB blaster and air tools will get things knocked free. Good luck with it if you get it! While they're good for the winter weather if that's what you need, like everyone else has said too.....they're terrible on gas. My Stang got way better mileage. I've got 32's on this Jeep and I swear I do good to get 15mpg...probably closer to 12, but I'm a lead foot still.

You wanna spend a few more bucks....I'll sell ya mine for 15.5k :)

i know the topic here is dead, but im curious if you picked up that cherokee?

im going saturday to look at a 1995 jeep cherokee 5 speed 4x4 with 102000 miles. the guy wants a grand for it. from pictures, it looks good and after talking to him, he swears by its reliability. he's in the airforce and has 2 vehicles he takes with him everytime he transfers, but i guess its a pain to take them both. he's transfering again to alabama real soon, so he wants to unload it.

i was looking for an old wrangler or cherokee for the snow too, but kept putting it off for some reason. so, i tried to get to work monday, did a 360 on my street, and had to park the wrong way on a one way because its all i could manage. i started making phonecalls that night.

No i never bought it. Guy didn't want to budge below 3500 and i didn't feel it was worth it.

I'm still looking :(

Bought snow tires for the mustang in the meantime so i can at least drive it in light snow

grand cherokee's hold there value alot better than blazers and explorers so usually the asking price is alittle higher.my gf's 95 grand has 180k miles on it and runs like new.it gets 20 mpg on the interstate but it does suck around town.the 99 up grands though are real pos.they have way too many rear end problems,pwr window problems and a whole lot more.you can't hardly beat a 4.0 motor,my 88 commanche has 150k and my grandmothers 96 grand has 120k.stay away from awd and 5.2 jeeps,the 4.0 is way better and easier to work on.