Need some opinions on exhaust

BackDraft 5.0

Nov 6, 2004
In the next couple of weeks, I am going to replace my current after-market headers and H-pipe with a set up FRPP headers and a new H-pipe. I need some help on deciding what mid-pipe to get. I want one that will fit like a glove. I have been researching and a lot of people seem to have problems with BBK fitment -- some say the O2 bung is in the wrong place and it will break against the chassis while others say that it makes the driver's side tip stick out. I hear a lot of good fitment things about MAC, but I am skeptical about their quality. I don't like the three-peice design much -- more room for error in exhaust leaks.

Let me know which of these you think I should choose, or give me another brand.

P.S. I have a 1995 GT

• Sponsors (?)

Nothing wrong with a 3-piece midpipe, as long as you either have it sealed up properly (get it welded or use some form of high-temp sealant) or you get one with ball-and-socket connections between the downpipes and the H-crossover sections (a better idea, actually, since it allows more adjustment and still seals up just as well as your headers and your flow tubes). They're way easier to install than a one-piece setup, and you don't run into the risk of getting stuck with an H-pipe you have to bang, pry, hammer, and sometimes even cut apart and re-weld together to fit into place.

Whatever you choose, DO NOT get anything that does not come with hangers of some sort in place. Midpipes like those sold by UPR, Pypes, and others that have no hangers DO go in easier, however you pay for that ease of install by having to either rig up your own hangers, or deal with the headache of lifting it back up and re-tightening it every other week as it keeps sagging down and dragging/scraping on everything.

I went with a Jeg's off-road X-pipe when I did mine the other week, after comparing a lot of designs, and I have no regrets. I just need to find the time to get around to sealing up the two leaks on the X-pipe where I used those cheap clamps that came with it, as they kink the pipe and oval it just enough to make minor leaks on the ends. (If you use quality clamps or have it welded together, you don't get this problem.)

BackDraft 5.0 said:
In the next couple of weeks, I am going to replace my current after-market headers and H-pipe with a set up FRPP headers and a new H-pipe. I need some help on deciding what mid-pipe to get. I want one that will fit like a glove. I have been researching and a lot of people seem to have problems with BBK fitment -- some say the O2 bung is in the wrong place and it will break against the chassis while others say that it makes the driver's side tip stick out. I hear a lot of good fitment things about MAC, but I am skeptical about their quality. I don't like the three-peice design much -- more room for error in exhaust leaks.

Let me know which of these you think I should choose, or give me another brand.

P.S. I have a 1995 GT

Yea you've heard things right from bbk. They are total JUNK. I bought my first exhuast with their 1 5/8 LT headers and matching h-pipe, the fitment from the header to the h-pipe was about an inch off. That's the last thing I'll purchase anything from them. So what I did was get a torch and heat it up and bent it, the pipe is really disfigured now, but I only use the h-pipe for emissions testing. I haven't really heard anything about MAC, good luck on your search.