Need some parts help

nateflorian

Oct 4, 2007
Florida
Hello All!

My name is Nathan Florian and I am a circle track racer from Florida. I have raced go carts, motorcross, and stock cars. I am new to the 2.3 as far as modifications and where to get the best deal on parts. I just purchased a 93 Mustang 2.3 HB and want to bore out the engine .040 with new pistons, rods, ect. I have posted my tracks rules so that you can see what I can, and can not do. Any good leads on parts and a few tips would be greatly appreciated.

1. 4-cylinder engines only. No rotary engines.

2 Engines must remain strictly stock as produced by manufacturer. No modifications of any kind unless outlined.

3. No high performance engine of any kind. No high performance parts of any kind. No turbo engines.

5. Engine components must have been available from the manufacturer in that model year. Year of engine not interchangeable.

6. No grinding on any part of engine or component.

7. May use fuel injection heads but adapt normal carburetor in an approved manner. Check with Tech. Two valves per cylinder.

No 4-valve per cylinder heads.

8. Shimming of lifters is okay.

9. Electric fans are okay.

10. Electric fuel pumps okay if original equipment. Must have oil pressure safety switch.

11. Maximum over bore allowed is .030 + .010 for clearance.

12. OEM pulley.

13. Must pull a minimum of 17" of vacuum at 1000 RPM’s.

• Sponsors (?)

He can't use any high performance parts or "non-stock" parts as stated in the rules he posted. I do think a 2.5L crank would fit in the rules though since I think they were in Rangers in 93. Otherwise, I'm not sure what you are asking since it sounds like they want bone stock engines...

After reading all that, I agree. It DOES sound a lot like you can't so much as even change spark plug wires for aftermarket. What all CAN you change? I know what years what parts were available (head variants, EFI vs carb, single plug vs dual plug, roller cams, headers, tri-y manifolds, 1 and 2 barrel carbs, duraspark,.........).

But that would violate the "must be available for that year of engine" rule above. I would find a 79-82 mustang or capri 2.3L with the 2 barrel carb (81-82 would be better because it has the d-port intake), block off the EGR, remove the emissions crap (except for the PCV) and set the timing as high as you can go without detonation and then try and track down an old Ford Motorsport A321 (i think that's what it was) non-roller performance cam and sneak it in there. Run the 83-93 cast manifold if you can't run the header and gut the insides a little.

For performance 2.3L parts, check out Esslinger or Racer Walsh. Do some EBay searches using "Ford 2300" or "ministock" and you should come up with some 2.3L performance stuff also.