Need some quick gear help so I can place order!!!

rio95

Nov 18, 2003
Grand Rapids, MI
I have had my 4.10's in for 1 season and am switching to 3.55's, can I resuse my shims and everything or should I just buy the standard ford install kit for $47 from summit?

When my 4.10's went in, I bought the $100 install kit and diff. rebuild.

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I knew I was going to get asked this. I would have explained eariler, but I was in a hurry.

I am actually finally building my turbo set-up and I'm starting to gather parts and I wanted to switch gears so I could drive it a few times before we get piled with snow. I just didn't want to drive the car the first time with the 3.55's on the dyno. Plus I wanted to feel what they are like with my current set-up.

I will probably be making a thread when school gets out, but to get you guys started:

I have ordered a Turbonetics 62-1 0.81 exhaust housing along with an evolution wastegate. I have also bought a set of 3.55's and am ordering some tubing and the gear install kit tonight from summit. As for the build, I am using my stock headers which I have already sand blasted and grinded. They look like brand new headers! I will be buying an intercooler, 42's, meter and everything else over the next few months. When winter is over, I'm trailering it to Livernois in Detroit for a tune and then its time to have some fun and break some stock parts.

Grn92LX said:
Why are you switching to a 3.55? Is the car too fast for you now or something?

Actuall I love my 4.10's and my car WILL be too fast for them.

I take my car to redline at the track with my current set-up, so I obviously need to switch. Plus more load = more boost (for the most part).

5.0 from 95 said:
Rio, you go to redline outside of Greenville?

Paul

Whats Redline??

p.s. It's quite a shame that I didn't get ANY responses to my somewhat urgent question which I'm sure many people know the answer to. Or maybe no one have any input which is also a shame. Why don't we just have a few more threads on "AFR vs. TF heads", or "What gears should I get", or the almighty "oil separator mod".

I ended up just ordering the $40 Ford install kit.

To answer your question, sometimes you can re-use your shims but its better to get new ones. If you're not getting Ford Racing gears I would definately get new ones. While you are back there, its also a good idea to rebuild your trac-lock with new clutch packs if you haven't done it in a while. I think I picked up the track-lock rebuild kit for something like 45 dollars shipped at GEFracing.com.

The way I look at it, if you're gonna be screwing around back there I'll pay a little bit more to have it done right the first time.

Whats ironic is that I just pulled my head out of the afr vs. trickflow thread to check this one out.

Adam

Take a dial caliper and measure the 4.10's pinion head thickness, then compare it to the 3.55's pinion head thickness. Whatever the difference, you need to add/subtract from the total pinion shim thickness so it's equal. i.e. if the new head is .02 thicker, you need to subtract .02 from the total thickness. My guess is they will be identical, and you won't have to change them.

Remember to make at least 8 measurements on the pinion heads, add them together, and divide by 8 to get an average pinion head thickness. It won't be 100% equal everywhere so that is why you measure the average.
Scott

Black95GTS said:
To answer your question, sometimes you can re-use your shims but its better to get new ones. If you're not getting Ford Racing gears I would definately get new ones. While you are back there, its also a good idea to rebuild your trac-lock with new clutch packs if you haven't done it in a while. I think I picked up the track-lock rebuild kit for something like 45 dollars shipped at GEFracing.com.

The way I look at it, if you're gonna be screwing around back there I'll pay a little bit more to have it done right the first time.

Whats ironic is that I just pulled my head out of the afr vs. trickflow thread to check this one out.

Adam

That is kind of ironic! You have to admit though, there is an increasing amount of stupid and/or redundant questions on here.

I actually got the bearing install kit and the diff. rebuild last year when I put my 4.10's in, so I was just going to buy whatever I would obsolutely need to put the 3.55's in. I should be all set now.

Thanks guys!

Rio

I'd be willing to bet that over 90% of the peeps on this forum have no experience with setting up a set of gears.

I myself have done more than I can remember but we are talking about 9 inch.

Since I also have no experience with what you are doing ...... I'm not comfortable with trying to help cause I don't wanna give you info that could cause you a prob.

I think most peeps just did not know the answer to your Q.

Grady

final5-0 said:
Rio

I'd be willing to bet that over 90% of the peeps on this forum have no experience with setting up a set of gears.

I myself have done more than I can remember but we are talking about 9 inch.

Since I also have no experience with what you are doing ...... I'm not comfortable with trying to help cause I don't wanna give you info that could cause you a prob.

I think most peeps just did not know the answer to your Q.

Grady

Yeah, you're probably right. Many people leave gears to be done by a professional. I myself have done everything on my car except for the gears when I put the 4.10's in. I'm sure this is the case with many people on here.

I'd rather ask a question that barely anyone knows rather than one that has been asked a million times though! This is a Tech. forum.

Thanks again for the help everyone.

p.s. My turbo and wastegate will be here tomorrow and I'll probably be putting my gears in this week.