Need some tech advice, I am looking at a 97 GT for a friend

62thunderbird

Jul 2, 2008
Nor Cal
Hey guys, I have not been on here in a while. how is every one? well I been friends with this girl for a while and she needs a car and she wants a Mustang or vette but I found her a 97 GT with a 5 spd, it is 3600 bucks but it has 159K on the clock, it has the original motor and tranny and the car is kept up on maintenance. I know that the intake manifolds have issuse that they like to crack when they get old. I remember on my 97 GT the manifold cracked but it also had the 2000 Motor. it has clear coat failure and it is a 3 owner car, it was a north carolina car when it was new and it was brought over to Cali when it was like two years old. what kind of issuse do you think this car might encounter as it get more miles on it? does it sound like because of how many miles are on it, the motor might give out? it has a new clutch, headers, short throw shifter.
sorry for the lengthy post.

• Sponsors (?)

159K is a lot of unaccounted miles. I'd give it a test drive and if it drives okay, the gauges work, it doesn't leak oil, power steering fluid, tranny fluid, etc then I'd carfax it.

If it still seems like a great deal after all that, then go for it.

159K is a lot of unaccounted miles. I'd give it a test drive and if it drives okay, the gauges work, it doesn't leak oil, power steering fluid, tranny fluid, etc then I'd carfax it.

If it still seems like a great deal after all that, then go for it.

+1, but then I would offer an even $3000 and see if they bite. In todays market, they probably will.

It is a lot of miles, but at the same time, if it's been maintained well, it still has a LOT of life left. My 97 GT has 157k miles and still runs sweetly. That's nothing for a 4.6 if well maintained. Remember that this is the same engine that goes in the crown vics, and it regularly goes 3-400k miles in taxi service.

Like usual, give the car a good inspection. Look for any leaking fluid, check fluid condition to see if it gets maintaince and test drive it to make sure everything works smoothly. The price may be slightly high, but you'll just have to check KBB and decide what it's worth to you.

Ok, then say $2700 :D

btw, 159k miles is a LOT of miles. :flag:

Yeah, I know our 4.6 engines can take the miles. I'm encouraged to hope for more than 150k miles for my car. :cheers:

To the OP, I think $2700 would be a good price, $3000 an ok price, and $3600 a little too much. Of course the price depends on a lot of things. :flag:

well guys we went and looked at it and OMG it was the biggest heap I have ever seen, I would have given a grand for it. It was filthy, the inside was not cleaned up and it was smoked in, and the paint was worse than he said, it needed a entire repaint, I took a stethescope with me and the alternator bearings where about to crap out, the coolant was never flushed so it had Mississippi mud bad. I can go on all day about how bad it was. It was not the one to own. the right front tire was worn on the outer edge so it was pulling to the left I guess. the wheel was curbed badly where the lip of the wheel was completely bent. the intake manifold was replaced, but anyways it was bad, we are going to look at a 2000 GT 5spd in redding on tuesday 3rd owner 112000 miles and it was taken really good care of. thanks for all your opinions guys.