Need suggestions for mufflers

Aug 11, 2008
I know, not another exhaust question. I am going to replace the factory mufflers on my '91 LX. The car is completely stock aside from a K&N panel filter. The factory exhaust is in awesome shape down to the tailpipes, so I am going to keep everything but the mufflers.

I am looking for a pair of mufflers that will have a nice sound without being too obnoxious and have minimal drone. I have only used flowmaster in the past and there was alot of drone. Can anyone suggest a decent brand muffler that may offer what I am looking for. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I am familiar with the names of the brands out there. What I am looking for is, what particular muffler from those brands will be on the quiter end of the dB chart.

I was on youtube last night for quite some time. It is hard for me to tell, I couldn't find many videos with good sound quality. I'm sure listening to the clips with a junk laptop didn't help either

magnaflow, bassani , spintech, borla, mac, hooker....

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. mufflers are of the things the owner has to pick out

Magnaflow Part# 11225 Only way to go!! optimal flow without the noise!!
This
I have Magnaflow too...love it. It's not too loud but still sounds pretty aggressive. I like Flowmaster too but I think I'm kinda tired of hearing that sound :D

magnaflow
Yup
In order of awesomeness:

With an X pipe:
Magnaflow>Mac>Spintech, but honestly they're all pretty damn awesome

With an H pipe:
meh, get an X pipe ;)

^wut he said. Magnaflow is lowest on DB chart, best power and build quality is top notch :nice:

All you guys saying Magnaflows are quiet....uhhh, you need to take a ride in my car. Cruising, yes they're pretty mellow, but WOT is down right ridiculous. It sounds like all hell breaking loose. That's why they're #1 on my muffler list, because you have the best of both worlds....mellow for when you're cruising and screamin when you stand on it. The only thing that could be better is the idle quality...i think chambered mufflers sound best at idle.

All you guys saying Magnaflows are quiet....uhhh, you need to take a ride in my car. Cruising, yes they're pretty mellow, but WOT is down right ridiculous. It sounds like all hell breaking loose. That's why they're #1 on my muffler list, because you have the best of both worlds....mellow for when you're cruising and screamin when you stand on it. The only thing that could be better is the idle quality...i think chambered mufflers sound best at idle.

I never mentioned WOT, was just responding to what was posted. I agree with what youre saying, as does the biggest muffler shootouts I read. In fact, thats exactly why I chose Magnaflow in the the first place :nice:

I've owned one set of turbo mufflers (walkers) about '86 to '90. then flowmaster, flowmaster, flowmaster, flowmaster, blah blah... drone drone drone. Started listening to magnaflows to get away from drone and they reminded me of another muffler from the 80's. GLASSPACKS. does anybody else recognize this, or is it just me? are magnaflows just straight thru glass packed muffs?