Fox Need Suggestions

Should I swap the motor or work on the v6?

• Total voters

uhHollow

Apr 12, 2016
New haven, CT
Hey, first time posting but I have a 79 v6 3.3 mustang and I don't know which directions I should go with it. I don't know if I should swap the engine or work on the v6 I currently have but if I do choose to work on it I don't know what to really do to it

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 311
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    154.9 KB · Views: 325
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 323
  • Sponsors (?)

Umm it's a straight 6 not a v6;)

Not sure of your question. Those motors suck,if you want better performance, switch it over to a v8. That requires a few extra changes and will cost some money. If you just want something to get you from point A to B and it just needs general maintenance and/or a few parts...that's the cheapest option.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, yeah, yeah @A5literMan , sure, ok.....

Put a big badass motor in there! That is a fantastic starting point you have there, That i6 is great for an old work pick up truck that is rusted to hell.

That pretty little thing there needs some power. Go to the jy and do some serious picking, unless you already have a V8 lined up? You'll need a few things to upgrade to the bigger motor, the rest of the drivetrain for example. suspension upgrades will be important.

Take it to task, study a bit and see for how little money you can accomplish it. If all fails, sell me that car, I really like it.:D

Reactions: 1 users
A v8 will require k member, tranny, tranny mounts, might as well upgrade spindles and control arms, 8.8 rear, new drive shaft, yadda yadda yadda...

Best bet is to get a clapped out 87-93 and swap all the goodies over. Otherwise keep that straight 6 chugging along.

Last edited:
Well the first option is the one I suggested earlier. It would be the cheapest and easiest route.
2ND would be to buy everything piece by piece which would allow you to get the exact parts you want but would nickel and dime you to death. Don't get me wrong, deals are out there, but the little stuff add up very fast.

Option 3 focus on body, suspension, and interior first. Upgrade brakes and rear end so when you drop a new motor in your car will perform instead of trying to twist itself into a pretzel.
Whatever you do, keep the 79 front clip and interior. You just don't see those anymore.

The salvage yard is definitely your friend then. Take your time and talk to a lot of local yards. It'll save you a ton.

Get something that can run, hot rod it later as you have funds. Not everything has to be done tomorrow.

I'm excited for you buddy, if you go ahead with this, start a progress thread here. I really dig the '79 starting point.

I already started working on the interior and was planning on getting it repainted the same color.

I'm trying to make the car look good and perform good first and then start working on increasing power.

I might try to do a 302 swap or something a long the line

I already started working on the interior and was planning on getting it repainted the same color.

I'm trying to make the car look good and perform good first and then start working on increasing power.

If you want to go 302 yank an explorer engine from the yard. Sell The intake and purchase a good carb set up. Next you need a k member. Rather than go with a stock unit, which you could easily do if money was an issue, purchase a tubular k from maximum motorsports or UPR. that will get the engine sitting in the car. Next you need to decide what kind of transmission you want.

There you go! Hot rodding is a process that continues even when you think you will be done.

Hot rodding is the work you will be doing, no matter if your rod still has an i6 in it, or a big badass twin turbo monster.

Do the pushrod 5.0 swap, it's been done a million times, help is everywhere.

The '79, to stress again, is a very cool place to start.

Do you think I should keep the car automatic or change to manual when I swap the motor and transmission?
I'd choose manual, get a simple t5. They are one of the most common standard 5 speed transmissions you'll find.

Careful of what you pull it from. The gearing varies greatly on them.

It'll be cheaper too, to buy or rebuild.

I was thinking of just buying all the parts new and what's the price range for a pushrod build?
You're going to be in for at least 4k like boosted said. I personally can't justify that for a 302 when for a few pennies more you can have a 347.

If it was me, this is just me mind you I'd be looking at 351 or bigger.