need to get the car painted..

tmkester

Nov 20, 2011
Pennsylvania
the cars original color is moonlight blue, should i just get it that color again or go to a true blue or sonic blue? i like the darker true blue and i love sonic blue but moonlight is the original color.. opinions?

• Sponsors (?)

Go original, unless you plan on stripping the car and removing the engine to do a proper color swap. Otherwise your door jams and strut towers will be moonlight blue while the rest of the car is a different shade of blue.

Besides, moonlight blue is one of the best looking Ford blue's right up there with sonic blue and bright atlantic blue.

moonlight blue :drool:

25386040002_large.jpg

1997_00021_01.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
There is no way possible to do a heavy buff or something of your car to bring the paint back? If you must do the same color. I detest aftermarket paint jobs. I've spent so many tens of thousands of dollars having my cars custom painted and just all sorts of stuff done....and you know what, no matter how much prep, how you spend, or whatever i have yet to have one come out like factory. I learned my expensive lesson many times, and unless I knew how to paint myself I, which i don't, I will do everything I can to avoid a cutsom paint job (note: my gt in my sig is cutsom painted, although great it's not "factory")

I think it depends on the shop that does the painting. A guy in my car club has an 04 Sonic Blue Cobra that has been repainted due to hail damage and it is absolutely flawless. IIRC it was wetsanded and buffed and looks better than any SB Cobra I've ever seen. Again, the shop that did the work is a very reputable place and clearly did proper prep and finish (sand/buff).

If you do plan on having your car painted, the best advice I can give you is to get on a local car forum and survey others that have had their car painted. It is best if you can physically inspect a paint job done by someone else's shop too. I think you'll quickly find which shops do the mediocre work and which shops do excellent work.

Regardless, as long as they apply a decent layer of clear you always have the option of having a professional detailer in your area wetsand/buff the car. I've seen Maaco painted cars go from dull and orange peeled to showroom shine after a good wetsand/buff. Do your research on detailers too. Autopia is a great resource to find reputable detailers in your area.

My father owns a body shop so I'm just trusting him with it, I've seen him do amazing work and I've already tried everything to save the paint so now I just have to get around to fixing all the little dents and imperfections so he can get started on new paint