Need to Know - What Year Cobra To Buy?

Seriously.

After looking at her for a 2nd time tonight, there's not a snowballs chance in hell she's getting repaired.

What year is the best Cobra? I'm going for the Cobra Vert, probably not triple black, which f**king blows my you know what, but it depends on whats available in my area.

The 95's don't have the hood/bumper, which makes them look like ass. Lets be honest here. I don't feel like buying the extra mods. But the 96-98 have the 4.6's - so you know. I need the pro's and con's from the pro's - and I wanted to go to you guys first before the Cobra heads.

I'm not getting another GT vert. It's pretty much economics when I can buy a Cobra Vert with 50K for the same price. Not worth my time to look at GT's. Granted I've been on a bender all night and for the next 2 days - but bear with me here. I need opinions!

Any help is appreciated. Because this truck absolutley f**king blows. Are you serious. I'm driving a truck right now.

- Andrew

• Sponsors (?)

I think the short answer is that the 96-98 are faster off the bat but modding them costs an arm and a leg compared to a 94-95. It's a tough question. My bro has a 96 and it's nice but i think i'd stick with my 95. It could come down to the best deal you can find.

TripleBlack95 said:
Seriously.

The 95's don't have the hood/bumper, which makes them look like ass.
- Andrew

They do have the reg. gt/v6 hood but they do have the cobra front bumper as the 96-98's do, unless you think not having the cobra letters on the rear bumper is bad and looks like ass?

Buddy of mine has a 96 cobra and the only mod motor I would buy is a 4v and only without selling my pushord 5.0. 96-98's are nice...you may be able to find a good priced 99/01 cobra though as well.

In the end for the money and if you want to mod it...go pushrod.

Well it all depends on where you want to take this car power wise.

If you want much over the 300fwhp mark of the 96-98 cobra, a blower will get you there, and they take to blowers very well. Turbo's as well. That would be one hella fast car.

But if you don't want to get a blower, but you want to get at least 300 to the wheels, you need an aftermarket h/c/i cobra, which means you might as well just buy a damn GT cause they are cheap. And you are going to ditch the heads anyway, so GT all the way.

Another thing to consider is there are tons of aftermarket hoods and body kits. Take a look, cause if you find a hood or a kit you like even more than the cobra look, then again, GT all the way.
Scott

Personally i'd go with the 96-98 cobra even though I love the 94-95 cobras. It looks like there is a decent amount of bolt-ons you can do to them and you're starting out with the faster car. For the price of H/C/I on the 94-95 you could easily buy a supercharger for the 96-98. My friend had a 95 cobra and it wasn't a whole heck of a lot faster than a gt. Correct me if i'm wrong, and I know theres diff. driver's out there but he was running mid 14s stock?

mo_dingo said:
Well it all depends on where you want to take this car power wise.

If you want much over the 300fwhp mark of the 96-98 cobra, a blower will get you there, and they take to blowers very well. Turbo's as well. That would be one hella fast car.

But if you don't want to get a blower, but you want to get at least 300 to the wheels, you need an aftermarket h/c/i cobra, which means you might as well just buy a damn GT cause they are cheap. And you are going to ditch the heads anyway, so GT all the way.

Another thing to consider is there are tons of aftermarket hoods and body kits. Take a look, cause if you find a hood or a kit you like even more than the cobra look, then again, GT all the way.
Scott

I concur......

yellowstang1994 said:
Personally i'd go with the 96-98 cobra even though I love the 94-95 cobras. It looks like there is a decent amount of bolt-ons you can do to them and you're starting out with the faster car. For the price of H/C/I on the 94-95 you could easily buy a supercharger for the 96-98. My friend had a 95 cobra and it wasn't a whole heck of a lot faster than a gt. Correct me if i'm wrong, and I know theres diff. driver's out there but he was running mid 14s stock?

i think stock the gt's ran 14.9's-14.7's and the cobra ran 14.3's -14.1's 5spd for the gt that is

Mustangless said:
The 96-98 has more power to start with. they have really good blocks, I think their weak point is their pistons. I would probably go with a 96-98 over a 94-95. Those 4v seem really nice.

I agree...the 4v 4.6s are great, however its tough to get anywhere under 12s n/a. But the 96-98s have the Teksid all aluminum blocks which can handle well over 1000rwhp. A turbo 96-98 with cams (which are like 1500$) could easily put down 700+ rwhp and thats with stock heads and intake and all that crap. Now granted a good turbo kit is gonna run 5-6k the results are definatly worth it. :nice:

Good responses guys. I've been really active on SVTperformance as of late in the classifieds.

Right now I've got two Cobra Vert's (96-98) I'll be heading down to North/South Carolina to look at. One I'm already all about - once the finances get worked out I'm gone.

I'll post wreckage pics in another thread today. I will be selling almost EVERYTHING from the car once its stored at a friends house.

To bad the 96-98 spoilers look like crap. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I like my 95. The v6 hood isnt obnoxious with bigass FAKE scoops. And the v6 bumper screams sleeper. Dont forget- horizontal tail lights. PRICELESS