Suspension Need To Replace Steering Rack, Would Like Suggestions

Discussion in '1994 - 1995 Specific Tech' started by webshot, Jul 30, 2013.

1. webshot

webshot
    Expand Collapse

On my 94 cobra the steering rack is leaking something vicious. Can any of you guys make a recommendation for the best brand to get and the most reasonably priced place to get a replacement steering rack (I do not really want to get one from the junkyard)?

Any input or advice is greatly appreciated.

2. bdcardinal

bdcardinal
    Expand Collapse
    tree hugger

A 2003-2004 Cobra rack is the most desirable for the SN95 cars. Actually the 00R one is more desirable, but they are made of unobtainium.

3. ProKiller

ProKiller
    Expand Collapse
    Founding Member

this. but even 03-04 cobra racks are difficult to find. you need one that says SPR-ZM. reason being it has a tighter turn ratio. I did this swap bout 4 years ago now. i have to be honest and say i'm not sure it made much of a difference with stock a-arms. granted though, the car was down for the winter and it's not my DD so it's not a true comparison.

4. webshot

webshot
    Expand Collapse

Thanks gents and lol @ "unobtanium" I am using that. Any idea where I can pick one of these up at? Summit, 50resto?...

5. chaos254

chaos254
    Expand Collapse
    Founding Member

Most autopart stores will have them. I know summit has those racks also

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

6. WhiteCobra95

WhiteCobra95
    Expand Collapse

I went with an AGR rack when I replaced mine and I’m extremely happy with it. My rack wasn't worn out but it felt like it had a dead spot at the center of the wheel travel which made it sort of scary to drive. I noticed an immediate improvement after I installed the AGR rack. (The new rack didn’t completely fix the vague steering feel that seems to plague our cars. That took new A-arm with new bushings and a solid Borgeson steering shaft.)

I purchased mine through Summit, but a friend of mine called AGR directly and had them build up an extremely low-lash rack for his race car. I think they also offer different turn ratios depending on how you want yours setup.

Just in case you haven’t swapped one of these racks before: keep in mind that you’ll need to replace the Teflon seals on the PS fluid hoses. These are a pain to install without a special bullet-nose too to expand them over the fitting threads without having the threads tear up the seals. You might want to find a local parts store that can loan you the special tools (there are two sizes needed) before you tear into your car.