Need wiring help w/ 3G Alternator- Carb'd car w/ no harness

AdamZ82

Apr 15, 2007
Minnesota
Hi Guys,

I've searched countless forums looking for this, but everything I've seen says to attach so-and-so wire from the harness to pins this-and-that on the alternator.

My problem, is that I'm trying to put this in a 84 hatchback, carbureted, with NONE of the stock wiring left. No harnesses, no connectors, nothing. 100% from scratch. It's going to be pretty much a bare bones drag car, but I'm still hooking up the lights/turn signals, etc. so I can drive it on the street on occasion.

Has anyone wired a 3G to work from scratch? Will it work as a 1-wire setup? Do I need to jumper any of the terminals on the D-connector or the single wire lead? Will this alternator just plain not work for me?

If anyone has wiring diagrams, pictures, or anything that will help, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

PS- this is my first post on :SNSign: so if this is in the wrong section, feel free to move it for me.

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome!

It should not be a big deal to wire up. I'll let Jrichker post up his links - in the diagrams look at the regulator wiring. The battery lug can really be looped back to the alt charge stud (this isnt the best thing but it works). Then the ignition terminal should still go to an idiot light (with a resistor in parallel). YOu have to do this since the regulator grounds and ungrounds this terminal (a straight shot of power would be quite bad, hence the need for the resistance in the circuit).

Then you'd have your power cable. Personally, I think it'd be pretty easy.

Good luck.

attachment.php

Engine Idle issues... More inside

86 Speed Density 5.0L, Auto.

Some notes: Missing Sprout connector. Missing Vacuum Diagram.

Symptoms: Engine will start and run for several minutes. As idle comes down to a normal curb idle the engine will act like its being starved for fuel. It almost sounds like a vacuum leak but I do not hear any hissing. If car is shifted in to Drive or Reverse the eigine will continue to run. Confusing........

Things Tired: Visual of all hoses, found 1 with a screw inserted. Unknown where this one goes. Tried Sprout connector from 93 Stang with same results but ending idles at a higher rpm.

Any Ideas?

86 Speed Density 5.0L, Auto.

Some notes: Missing Sprout connector. Missing Vacuum Diagram.

Symptoms: Engine will start and run for several minutes. As idle comes down to a normal curb idle the engine will act like its being starved for fuel. It almost sounds like a vacuum leak but I do not hear any hissing. If car is shifted in to Drive or Reverse the eigine will continue to run. Confusing........

Things Tired: Visual of all hoses, found 1 with a screw inserted. Unknown where this one goes. Tried Sprout connector from 93 Stang with same results but ending idles at a higher rpm.

Any Ideas?

I think you meant to start a new thread but instead posted on an alternator thread. If we reply on here, things will get real confusing. I'd try starting a new thread.

Good luck.