Need your advice.......

stang95silv

Oct 8, 2003
I have a 1995 mustang 3.8 5sp. A few days ago i blew a head gasket and antifreeze went everywhere.

Do you guys think I should fix it, or go a head and put a 5.0 in it?

I'm just afraid something else might be messed up after i put new head gaskets in it. and it would be stupid to put alot of money into a v6 motor.

I'v been wanting to put a v8 in the car but didn't want to mess with it since it "was" running great and i never had a problem with it.

I need your advice, what woud you do?

If you think i should replace the gaskets what should i look for?

Thanks for your help!!

• Sponsors (?)

well, personally, I'd sell it and buy a GT... don't mess w/ the whole transfer thing... although it will be much better if you do it yourself... but you will probably have to redo the tranny, rearend, get a 8.8 rearend in it, redo suspension, engine mounts... driveshaft... all your stuff isn't made for the power of the 5.0, it was made to be a cheap commuter car that was a mustang, so all that stuff I mentioned will probably break if you put a 5.0 in...

-but if you do, I'd go w/ either the summit racging 5.0 replacement engine (345HP) or something similar... only $3K too...

If you can find a 5.0 motor for cheap, I would go ahead and do that. The cost to put a decent 5.0 into the car and still keep it emissions legal would be close to 5k. Not only do you have to get the motor but you have to get the wiring harness, fuel system (pumps and regulators), all new exhaust, and you may need a new tranny - I'm not sure if they are interchangeable. The question is how much do you have to spend.

Joe

Those 7.5 rears can handle the power, just not the abuse. Your right, a new rear will be necessary, but I would go right for a 9". Parts, i.e. axles, differentials, ring and pinion sets, are all cheaper than for a 8.8.

Joe

I wouldn't say that. If you have the funds, go ahead, but it is going to cost some serious cash.

Crate motor - 3500 (at least)
Intake manifold - 500
Full exhaust - 1000 (guestimate)
Rear end - 1000
Fuel system - 400

If you need a new tranny, that is going to come at a pretty penny. If you need a trans that means you are going to need a new clutch assembly. If you got the cash, then go for it.

Joe

I wasn't planing on buying a new crate motor. I was going to pull one out of anothe mustang or a 90 crown victoria and use it. That way i'll have money to replace the other stuff also. Then i can eventually build a motor for it.. What do you think? Also is the 89-90 crown victoria's 5.0 roller motors the same as mustang 5.0 motors....

Thanks

pic of my beast!!

Attachments

• FRONTEND.JPG
    FRONTEND.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 73
  • BACKEND.JPG
    BACKEND.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 75
stang95silv said:
I wasn't planing on buying a new crate motor. I was going to pull one out of anothe mustang or a 90 crown victoria and use it. That way i'll have money to replace the other stuff also. Then i can eventually build a motor for it.. What do you think? Also is the 89-90 crown victoria's 5.0 roller motors the same as mustang 5.0 motors....

Thanks
I would think so. As long as you can get a 5.0 shortblock, it doesn't really matter what is on the top end of it.

Joe

stang95silv, first of all, whats you situations with the car. Daily driver?

When I had my 97 v6 I was planning a motor swap but I had an advantage thats hard to find. I found a rolled over 96 cobra that I could buy the whole thing. for the money I was gonna spend to buy it. $5000. I would have got everything. Cobra brakes, motor, trans, rearend, k-member, brake booster(dont need that for a 5.0 swap), fual system. And black leather seats :banana:

Thats a full donor car for everything. You might want to look into something like this. Because for someone like me who has barely any wrench time in on my car, I could use the donor to refrence of where the heck everything goes.

Get a donor car and save yourself the trouble of finding every individual part.

FYI, I just bought the gt because it was a sweet deal and it came with a v8, leather seats and now I have a vert. The cobra brakes I did buy are sitting in the garage though. And I got hit so Im now getting a full 96 cobra front end :banana:

Good luck with your decision.

Dan

Yeah, the V8 swap sounds like a big hassle to me.

I would replace the head gasket myself, sell the car, and buy a GT. With a new head gasket, you should get a decent amount of money for the car. Then, with the GT, you will have a good start. Spending 5k on a car to become a STOCK V8 is completely rediculous in my opinion.

I wanted to throw a 350 into my 92 chevy truck. But all I would do is spend a lot of money for a 17 second vehicle. 4600 lbs is a lot to pull.

Now I have a 15 second car to start with, and all my money will make the times drop more and more!!! Hopefully, unless I break something else :mad:

I could spend 5k and get into the 12's.
Scott

Thanks for your reply's.
I'm going to go a head and do the v8 swap. I bought a 94 gt that was wrecked for $800. It has everything i will need. This should be a rather inexpensive swap.....