Need your opinion on struts!

rickster99

Jun 14, 2004
Guys I need your opinion. About 2k miles ago I had replaced my stock springs with Ford C Springs. For one reason or another I didn't change the struts on it. I had new rims and tires put on and now my tires have an inner chop on them. So the car sounds like its a 4x4. I guess the stock struts went bad and so its kind of made that uneven ware on the front tires.

Here are my questions:
1. Which struts should I get for the front? Keep in mind that I don't want to spend a small fortune. I was looking at the KYB AGX adjustable shocks? What do you think about those?

2. Do you think once I put new struts it will ware down the tires evenly eventually?

Anythoughts guys?

• Sponsors (?)

you dont have a strut problem. it is an alignment issue caused by excessive negative camber (from lowering your car)

did you have your alignment done after the spring install??

also how often have you rotated the tires?

you dont have a strut problem. it is an alignment issue caused by excessive negative camber (from lowering your car)

did you have your alignment done after the spring install??

also how often have you rotated the tires?

I sure did and they told me that its not an alignment problem. They said that the ware is indicative of a strut problem. The way its wares is every other slit in the tire. For example I get the sound of like a truck that has really big tires and you can see it on the truck that the wear is every other slit. However I am starting to agree with you because otherwise it would wear evenly no?

You probably need new struts anyway. I bet your tires are worn from improper alignment and worn struts/shocks. The stock struts cant handle lowering springs very long. KYB is pretty much a cheap stock replacement. I would go with Tokico or bilstein. You get what you pay for!

You probably need new struts anyway. I bet your tires are worn from improper alignment and worn struts/shocks. The stock struts cant handle lowering springs very long. KYB is pretty much a cheap stock replacement. I would go with Tokico or bilstein. You get what you pay for!

True... I am debating whether to just put the old springs back on? The ride right now is a little harsh and to spend extra money on the bilstein or tokico shocks is more then I want to spend. Thanks for the info.

New struts and shocks will definitely help the ride. You could consider the Tokico blues for your car as an option. If you put the stock springs back on you're still going to have problems if the stock struts and shocks are worn out. Having a car means having maintenance to perform and thats part of it. Still sucks but thats where you're at.

New struts and shocks will definitely help the ride. You could consider the Tokico blues for your car as an option. If you put the stock springs back on you're still going to have problems if the stock struts and shocks are worn out. Having a car means having maintenance to perform and thats part of it. Still sucks but thats where you're at.

No I agree with you and I am all up for maintenance. The problem is that I can replace the stock struts for about $80.00 each. Where the set (2) of struts from tokico are like $500.00 or some rediculous price. ... Not to mention the fact that then I have to get it aligned again, which I have to do that anyways. And of course I am scared that it wont be fixed anyways. With that said yes you are right I still have to get new struts ... $80 each VS. $250 each ... big gap unless you guys now somethign I dont.

By the way I am editing this cause I am looking online at the prices and they aren't that bad. What do you think the price should be around for each shock? I mentioned before $500 because I saw some price like that at www.americanmuscle.com.

No I agree with you and I am all up for maintenance. The problem is that I can replace the stock struts for about $80.00 each. Where the set (2) of struts from tokico are like $500.00 or some rediculous price. ... Not to mention the fact that then I have to get it aligned again, which I have to do that anyways. And of course I am scared that it wont be fixed anyways. With that said yes you are right I still have to get new struts ... $80 each VS. $250 each ... big gap unless you guys now somethign I dont.

By the way I am editing this cause I am looking online at the prices and they aren't that bad. What do you think the price should be around for each shock? I mentioned before $500 because I saw some price like that at www.americanmuscle.com.

Any one have any suggestions where I can order it from? Some where that is reliable?

Im gonna watch this thread because I'm scared of what to purchase and what to purchase when I install my Vogtland springs sometime soon.

I know I'm gonna need shocks and struts all the way around and CC plates but I know my GF is getting me the UPR CC plates for my BDay anyways.

Is there a budget shock/strut around that will allow me to lower the car enough that I wont have this situation after an alignment?

Same thing. :nice:

So I guess you guys are pretty sure that once I get new shocks get it realigned I should be good? Do you guys think that once I do this, the tires will start to wear out evenly even though right now the inner part of the tire is worn out unevenly? Because my tires are practically brand new.

Im gonna watch this thread because I'm scared of what to purchase and what to purchase when I install my Vogtland springs sometime soon.

I know I'm gonna need shocks and struts all the way around and CC plates but I know my GF is getting me the UPR CC plates for my BDay anyways.

Is there a budget shock/strut around that will allow me to lower the car enough that I wont have this situation after an alignment?

what are Vogtland springs???

So I guess you guys are pretty sure that once I get new shocks get it realigned I should be good? Do you guys think that once I do this, the tires will start to wear out evenly even though right now the inner part of the tire is worn out unevenly? Because my tires are practically brand new.

First off, the wear pattern you are describing is indacative of dead shocks. There are couple of issues to consider before you make any purchasing decisions:

1) If you put new shocks on (any set), you will still have the uneven wear on the tire. That damage has been done. It will remain out of balance and be loud for a while. There is no fix to this annoyance except buying a new set of tires.

2) If you buy OEM replacement shocks that are designed for the higher original ride height, you'll likely be encountering this problem again soon. It's a good idea for longevity's sake to get some shocks designed to for the ride height you are going for.

3) Even though your shop says the wear problem is not an alignment issue, the majority of the uneven wear being centered around the inner arc of the tire raises questions about the alignment. Have you seen your alignment measurements while your car is on the alignment rack? Have you at least been given copies of before and after alignment specs? I always walk back into the shop area to make sure they get the alignment how I want it. A properly 'aligned' car from a tech's perspective is a wide range of allowance. Their version of aligned is probably not good enough in this case. Get to the bottom of this question before you buy anything.

4) If your shop cannot get your camber under control (in your case you need > -.8 degrees) you will need aftermarket CC plates. No getting around this purchase, otherwise the inside of your tires will continue to wear faster.

I hope you get things figured out, and maybe these thoughts will help you ask the right questions. Good Luck.