Negative Effects of "Dumps"?

• Sponsors (?)

Had dumps first, and got rid of them!

Horrible vibration problems, too loud and causes headaches, might be cool for a month but if you drive your mustang often you will get sick of it.

I put lx pipes on and have a cobra bumper and they fit in nicely and sound alot smoother

onefstsnake said:
So whats the verdict?

Too loud for a daily driver?

Im thinking about cutting off the tailpipes tomorrow.
It really depends on want u want. if u will be able to stand a loud exhaust then i would say do it. I let someone drive my car to a store that was down the road 1 1/2 miles and he gave it WOT when he turned around and i heard he plan as day.

I have them on my DD but it dont bother me at all.

HEY onefstsnake, i had shorties off road H-pipe and flows on my car. when i put on the stock H with 4 cats for emissions i noticed a ton of low end power. i mean the thing would go sideways from a 2nd gear roll.
if you have a nearly stock motor and take away all your back pressure your car is gonna feel slower. you may gain a few hp in the upper rpm, but your gonna lose in the low end. im actually sacraficing sound and putting h pipe with cats on my new car. i like the way it pulls much better.
btw dumps are (too) loud for a street car IMO, its a hassle.

I have dumped Flow Super 40's on my 82, with 4.10's and a C4.

With no sound deadener, no carpet, no backseat, etc, it's a bit loud.

It is worse at certain speeds, but at idle, and at 40 or above it sounds nice.

I don't drive it more than 15 miles at a time mostly, but I have had some other loud, and some raggy, vehicles, and as long as I don't get arrested, its fine.

Last excessive noise ticket was in 1970!

I've got a stock system all the way to the flowmasters (40series). After the mufflers I have the turndowns. The car sounds more throaty to me. I don't have any fume issues. Cops dont seem to care. Their are definatly others out there that are much louder. I tried them with tailpipes, w/out t-pipes and coming straight out. Straight out w/out turndowns was annoying loud. Sounded good for about 1 day then I realized it was too much for everyday driving. Then we installed the turndowns and it made it much quieter. More tolorable. Tell the exhaust shop to unhook that tailpipes and lower the car to see what ya think. Then tell them to install the drop downs and make your decision. Good luck.

i got pulled over so many times with my setu up it isnt even funny. i have jba's to bbk x-pipe and flows. i had the tails off for a while and the sucker was loud. but at the same time it was the best sound ever. everyone on the outside loved it, but it will give you a headache if you arent a stang lover inside...lol. i got pulled over all the time but i just asked the cop to compare my car to a harley and i got off every time.

Blakthorn said:
Had dumps first, and got rid of them!

Horrible vibration problems, too loud and causes headaches, might be cool for a month but if you drive your mustang often you will get sick of it.

I put lx pipes on and have a cobra bumper and they fit in nicely and sound alot smoother

That's what i would like to do. I think the LX pipes look awesom. I think the car will sound better from exterior that way also , because the pipes are pointing straight out @ the car behind ya. I love getting home and backing into my garage, it echos it nicely.

I had dumps for about 2 months and I would never do it again. The whole car vibrated much worse and with the windows down exhaust would roll back into the car, it wasn't any louder the sound was just under the car instead of behind it where it should be, the tone of the mufflers changed and sounded like crap. I also dont like th elook of mustangs without tail pipes. This was with magnaflows and since I had the money and my old pipes were all hacked up I bought a new 2.5" magnaflow catback and it sounds 100% better IMO.

Since we are on this subject. I have force 2 flowmaster series 40 and have been utterly dissapointed in the idling sound. My car sounds all right at idle, but I am looking for a more throaty sound. What is a good replacement cat back for someone who is looking for a nice idle but not too quiet... i mean I have an off road h pipe with shorty headers like I mentioned earlier with turn downs becuase I wanted more sound, but I want MORE exhause :-/ imo i like the loud sound

Legally, at least here in NC you shouldn't pass inspection if the pipes don't exit from the vehicle from either the side or behind the vehicle. Thats what my dad always stressed me and my cousin about, and considering he's done inspections for 25+ years, I'd say he has a slight clue what he's talking about.

I don't know anything on hooking up tailpipe emissions so I can't help you there.

However, I have had both flowmaster mufflers and my Mac cat-back and I can say my mac sounds better than my flows.