Neutral sensing switch T-5 (purpose) Anybody have 1?

90FoxBdy

Founding Member
Jun 17, 2000
Linthicum, MD
I am having the worst time locating this. I have looked everywhere and no one has it, or can get it. I want to replace mine because the wires are frayed and stretched out. I also already have the trans out. I called atleast 12 places, with no luck. Ford discontinued it last year. I called two mustang junkyards and they both said the switch does nothing, and just screw the old one in there to have something in the hole. They said 90% of the cars that come in have it un plugged anyway. Does anybody know what the function of the switch is? And does anyone have one laying around. Thanks Ricky

• Sponsors (?)

didnt think it had one... there is a switch on the clutch pedal that wont let you start it unless the clutch is depressed... so the neutral saftey switch is redundant...

I thought the wires were for the backup lights :shrug:

I answered this over on www.corral.net, but i'll answer it again here.

The NSS switch on the top of the T-5 is for the cruise control system. It has nothing to do with starting the car in that sense.

When you have the cruise control on and accidentally knock the lever out of gear, it will sense the tranny is in neutral and shut off the cruise control.

Mustang5L5 said:
The NSS switch on the top of the T-5 is for the cruise control system. It has nothing to do with starting the car in that sense.

When you have the cruise control on and accidentally knock the lever out of gear, it will sense the tranny is in neutral and shut off the cruise control.

probably one of the reasons my cruise control doesnt work... heheheh :rlaugh:

That switch is also necessary for the computer to send codes - if the trans is not in nuetral (as sensed through that switch, codes won't be sent. I was not aware of the tie to cruise control.

Thanks for the replies guys. I was all ready to throw the trans in without the switch and noticed a post on the corral that said on the speed density cars it can be left unplugged, but it is neccessary to have it plugged in for the mass air cars. I dont care about the cc. I just want to do this right the first time. Thanks Ricky

AAAHhhhhhhh so that's what the little harness comming off the side of my Tremec is???

Oh yea i have no backup lights, is this related? My car used to have a C4 in it so the clutch/start thing is gone and i can start it in gear with the clutch out if i wanted.

I broke mine off about 4 years ago and have ran my car like that since. what problems could it cause?? i have a new one just too lazy to put it in. been sitting around for years still in the ford packaging. looks like a ball bearing inside as a switch right?

Yeah that is it. If you have it handy could you please shoot me the part #. Maybe they changed it or something and that is why Ford is saying its discontinued.
Bowtiekiller have you noticed any changes since you broke it off?

90FoxBdy said:
Yeah that is it. If you have it handy could you please shoot me the part #. Maybe they changed it or something and that is why Ford is saying its discontinued.
Bowtiekiller have you noticed any changes since you broke it off?

I'll check the part # when i get home.. as far as the car i haven't noticed anything and i have ran codes just fine

85_SS_302_Coupe said:
Oh yea i have no backup lights, is this related? My car used to have a C4 in it so the clutch/start thing is gone and i can start it in gear with the clutch out if i wanted.

The neutral switch is on the top cover of the trans, the backup light switch is in the passenger side of the trans. They did not put the harness and switch in for the clutch safety switch so you can start it it gear.