93GTosu

May 5, 2005
combo:
P heads/intake
stock cam, MAF, TB
FMS P headers
3.73s
subframes
nitto 555r (seem better on the street than the track but meh)

let me just say...i need to learn to drive...

best run
60ft 2.00
1/4 14.1 @ 99.5mph :(

the other runs just kept getting worse until i called it quits.
now, its 85* here so just for giggles i calculated the DA and all that jazz on ModDepot and my times corrected to a 13.7 @101mph :rolleyes:

either way, i'm not really dissapointed. i'll just have to wait for some slightly cooler days and learn to drive better. this is the first time driving the new combo...or driving the car at all really in ~5 months. I'll have it solidly into the 13s soon i hope.

*something i noticed though...the car needs an alignment...it pulls left when driving and the rearend is leaning to the driver's side. it looks like a 500lb guy is driving when i only weigh ~140. what could cause this and how is it affecting my times?? i can only assume its slowing me down as the car fights with me down the track.

i took the car to ntb, he said my wheel bearings are a "little loose" but doesnt know why the car is leaning. he didnt do the alignment because he said i should address those issues first.

• Sponsors (?)

Leaning in front, in back, both? Are those the original springs, you could definitely be fighting it. Maybe control arm bushings, have you got a good set of rear lca's? Really help it hook up/get out. Times aren't bad on the new combo, especially never tried out. Feels better with the new heads?

National Trails Raceway

it was so damn hot today, i was debating whether or not to even go. well i did go....and i sweated my balls off waiting to run. :notnice:

my best run at National Trails last year was a 14.3 @ 98

It feels 1000x better with the new heads/intake!!
the heads/intake/headers just got put on.

forgot the U+LCAs, i dunno the brand, they're black and a boxed style i think.

Leaning in front, in back, both? Are those the original springs, you could definitely be fighting it. Maybe control arm bushings, have you got a good set of rear lca's? Really help it hook up/get out. Times aren't bad on the new combo, especially never tried out. Feels better with the new heads?

we slapped the uppers and lowers on when i did my 3.73s. i heard something about the spring being clocked wrong? any truth to that?

i'm not too sure about leaning in the front....i never really checked :nice: i'll go look at it.

Yeah, thought those would be nice. Check out the spring situation, they could really be killing you. If it feels like more power, then you just gotta get it to the ground.:nice: Spring clocked, suppose it coulda turned when you did the other stuff, but that'd be new to me, jrichter would be the man!

i'd suggest going through the rest of the motor in the bolt on department.. degree the cam and 1.7 RR's.. cams probably your problem at stock TDC.. should go 4* advanced IMO and you'd be much faster.. running top end heads on a low sub 4500 cam

Yeah, thought those would be nice. Check out the spring situation, they could really be killing you. If it feels like more power, then you just gotta get it to the ground.:nice: Spring clocked, suppose it coulda turned when you did the other stuff, but that'd be new to me, jrichter would be the man!

yeah, we took the entire rear end and stock upper/lowers and replaced them with a 3.73 rear and the control arms. I was reading different threads and i thought i read something about the spring isolators...if they arent lined up correctly....one side could be higher/lower.

ehhh...also...now that i think about it...when i was trying to get my headers in the driver's side was a PITA and one of the studs was hitting something like it was too long. the driver's side tail also sits down lower than the other.

I suppose i could have a bad motor mount and its leaning towards the driver? would this throw the entire car off? i dont know what the motor mounts look like though even though im sure i've seen them, i've just never had them pointed out to me.

i'd suggest going through the rest of the motor in the bolt on department.. degree the cam and 1.7 RR's.. cams probably your problem at stock TDC.. should go 4* advanced IMO and you'd be much faster.. running top end heads on a low sub 4500 cam

how hard/how much down time is involved in degreeing a cam? i thought about doing this with the heads off...but didnt. 1.7s are definitly on the list of "wants"

even with the stock cam and P heads, the car "feels" like its go alot more "go" in it!! its a blast to drive now!! :D :D i think practicing should get me into the 13s, and then 1.7s, TB, maf, degreed cam?

last summer (stock heads/intake/headers) i worked soooo hard and i got it down from 14.6-14.1 (different track) after lots and lots of practice! sooooo....if i practice with this combo i hope to get similar results! i think i'm a really bad driver in all honesty...i'm not gonna lie. i cant launch/shift to save my life. i need to ride with someone who can drive and give me pointers. :(

on a side note, i ran against a porsche boxster twice who was pullin like 15.3s? i lined up with him and i'm like..."oh crap he's gonna blow my doors off". and when i pulled past him really hard i was so excited cause i figured i had a 13 second run....cause he was a porsche...but obviously just a 15 second porsche...he coulda just been babying it down the track though.

Nice times, looks like it may need a tune or something imo... 99.5mph with GT40P heads??? The stock MAF may be killing your top end?

We have pretty much the same times...

There are some things left in that combo that if you do right, could give you an easy 12 second car on a tire!

what do you suggest??

i know i'd need a good tire for 12s, i was thinking of getting some 10 holes and throwing a slick on it?? good idea? i'm just a little worried about breaking stuff (axles, tranny, etc.) and i guess i kinda end up babying it.

Not bad considering the heat.......practice and a cool day and I'll bet you see mid 13's

thats what i'm really hoping!!! :D

Retard the stock cam 4 degrees, it did wonders for our GT40P car, 1.7 rockers, get a 70mm TB, 75mm MAF, straight through mufflers, and if you really have a desire to do more get some valves and valve work into those heads. We had a quick GT40P combo, they can make great power and run hard!

You could get real low 13's maybe a 12 with a nice set of slicks, heated up properly, but practice on what you normally drive on, since thats what you'll be using 99% of the time. If you get that thing to hook up at the track once with the slicks, it still won't make much difference when you're driving down the street, you won't have the slicks. Waving a 12 second timeslip at a guy in a Porsche whose driving away won't feel too good! And I'd set that chassis up right before doing any more to that motor, so you stop killing yourself!

im running a 85gt with a 306, box-stock gt40p heads, b303, 1.6rr, weiand single plane, holley 650, frpp headers, 4.10, and a t5 of course, mickey thompson radial et streets, best time so far.....13.27, thats wringing is neck shifting at 6200, and im dissapointed with that time, i can feel more in the car. im switching to 1.7 rockers to get some more lift. i gotta get this thing in the 13.teens, i will keep you all posted. seems like us carb'd guys get the P's to run a bit harder.

advancing the cam would move the powerband down a little bit, i think you are meaning to say retard the cam 4degrees that will move the powerband up a little bit

I dunno how much a p head and exploder intake will gain, but to me that mph is low. Granted the cam isn't really what the motor wants with the bigger heads and intake, but 25th makes it work well with a retarded cam. If you want to keep the stocker, I highly reccommend you have a talk with him. From the times he's run he can also drive a damn fox pretty well. I'd talk to him about possible shift points and whatnot.

From what I can tell though, your 60' is killing you bad. What pressure was in the nittos at the track. How did you launch? I've found a little more rpm and more clutch slip helps out more than a lower rpm launch. I cut 2.0s on street tires back when I drove the car a lot and had a good feel for it. Now since I've lost some feel and added heads and cam I haven't a clue how I can drive it. I figured a nitto could take a 3500rpm near clutch dump and dead hook.

I dunno how much a p head and exploder intake will gain, but to me that mph is low. Granted the cam isn't really what the motor wants with the bigger heads and intake, but 25th makes it work well with a retarded cam. If you want to keep the stocker, I highly reccommend you have a talk with him. From the times he's run he can also drive a damn fox pretty well. I'd talk to him about possible shift points and whatnot.

From what I can tell though, your 60' is killing you bad. What pressure was in the nittos at the track. How did you launch? I've found a little more rpm and more clutch slip helps out more than a lower rpm launch. I cut 2.0s on street tires back when I drove the car a lot and had a good feel for it. Now since I've lost some feel and added heads and cam I haven't a clue how I can drive it. I figured a nitto could take a 3500rpm near clutch dump and dead hook.

well last summer i'd have them at 22psi, launch off 2K-2500 rpm and cut 2.0s/few 1.9s. i cut the same times on a worn set of street tires my very first time drag racing when i first bought the car. i guess i just cant launch correctly and am not taking advantage of the DRs.

i can't wind 1st out past 4500-4800 otherwise it WONT go into 2nd...no matter how hard or how many times i try. no clue whats up with that, but i end up babying it big time into 2nd. its like hitting a wall on the 1-2 shift. every other gear is fine.

this past 14.1 run i launched off idle at 22psi. i'd never launched off idle and was suprised i cut even a 2.0.

other runs that night had 2.1-2.3 60fts. same psi but i tried launching at 1500-2000 rpm. once, it actually kicked the rearend sideways and spun the tires hard. i felt like i was going too far to the center and i let off before i got too far sideways. i think i scared the officals on that one atually. :(

overall, the car FEELS alot stronger!! driving on the street is a BLAST!!!! i'd like to get some more seat time in to see whats up. i've got my 70mm maf ready to replace the stocker, but the stock TB is still there for the time being.