New 65 Mustang Owner From Gastonia, Nc (near Charlotte)

What should I do with my 65 Mustang base model coupe?

• Restore to original showroom condition

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Restomod with modern technology for a smooth ride

• Restore as a Shelby GT500 tribute

• Total voters
Hey everyone! I'm new to the Mustang community with my 1965 Mustang. I bought it as a joint venture with a friend for dirt cheap from a family member. Bought from the original owner. We bought it as a project, hoping to restore to original condition and show it or keep it, whatever. However, we're open to other ideas! Here are some pics of its current state:

PICT0209.JPG

PICT0210.JPG

PICT0211.JPG

You can see the hole in the passenger side floorpan through the window here. The driver's side is worse.

PICT0212.JPG

PICT0213.JPG

PICT0214.JPG

PICT0215.JPG

It has a 200 cid I6 engine. Not in the best condition but it turns.

PICT0218.JPG

We have all the parts that came off the car. It was a complete car when we picked it up.

PICT0219.JPG

We're not sure how much of the parts and trim are salvageable. It's a rust bucket, but the frame looks ok and the engine looks like it might run. It was sitting in someone's back yard partially covered for the past 20 years.

Getting started on this thing, one of my questions is this: what trim parts are steel, iron, polished aluminum, and chrome?

So what do you guys think? Should we restore to original Wimbledon White with red interior, I6 and three speed manual? Should we build up a Boss 302 or 351W and resto-mod this thing? Or should we build a GT350 tribute or something similar retaining a stock look? Looking for opinions and pros/cons if anyone has any input. I'm sure we'll be in the forums throughout the years. Looking forward to it!

• Sponsors (?)