New 68 Fastback...Project....Maybe

Yobi1Kanobi

Apr 9, 2003
Hey guys I am a 94 guy. Recently I started working out a trade, my 94 for a 68 FB.

What kind of Condition did you guy start your project in and what are the common fixable body rust you guys find acceptable.

This car has been sitting for 22 years. It has been mostly inside but has spent some time outdoors in Florida.

I found rust in the trunk, rear quarter panel, and floor pans. I also has some surface rust like on the roof since the paint is shot.

I would like to see some pics of what you guys started with :flag:

I really would like a 68FB but don't want to get into hole.

Thank You guys:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

You say project... so not a daily driver? Do you want something you can drive while you are restoring/restomodding? Most of these 40+ year old cars need a lot of work. The few that don't (besides being expensive) should probably be left alone.

My "project" went from paint job to "didn't know that was behind the fender" to full rotisserie pretty quickly. Think of all the rust and damage you don't see. It's not a hole, it's a hobby. What kind of budget are you talking about?

View attachment 296425

Mederos0172.jpg

Mederos301.jpg

DSCN1691c.jpg

Attachments

• Mederos0172.jpg
    Mederos0172.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 52
  • Mederos301.jpg
    Mederos301.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN1691c.jpg
    DSCN1691c.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 55
I do not plan on driving it at all I plan on stripping this down 100%.

Well I am also working on a 78 Vette. And that is going to be my driver.

I don't mind work just heard some people get into this and found unsalvageble damage.

I am going set set aside about 20,000.00 for the Restomod.

I started with a pretty clean stocker and have somewhere around $21K in my car now, but a big chunk of that was the fiberglass stuff. I did everything myself, including paint and shopped for the best price with every single purchase. It can be done for $20k, but you need to be careful and don't get carried away with buying stuff. A freind had his coupe painted and by the time the bodyshop was done replacing panels (doors, rear quarters, hood, trunk, taillight panel) and painting, he had over $17K in paint and bodywork alone. The last time I talked to him, he had about $42K in the thing! It sounds rediculous, but it happens in a hurry once you start buying stuff or paying people to do it for you. I'll try to dig up a pic of what I started with later, but here's what it looks like now
IMG_2370.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2370.jpg
    IMG_2370.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 50
I had rust in nearly every panel except the roof. I probably could have paid more upfront for a rust free project and saved money in the long run. After a 3 year build I decided all future projects would start as rust free as possible. What ever rust you can see is just the tip of the iceburg.

withoutfirewallcowlandinnerfende-1.jpg

Attachments

• withoutfirewallcowlandinnerfende-1.jpg
    withoutfirewallcowlandinnerfende-1.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 46
Mine was pretty good so I thought... 5 years later, and a boat load of work and now it's 98% finished.

Be careful. Look under the floor pans, inspect the entire lengths of the frame rails, under the dash, inside the cowls, and inside the trunk. Look at the seems. I should have brought a magnet as well, because one of the rear quarter panel drops was complete fiberglass and bondo.

The wheel wells also were coated with so much tar undercoating it completely hid the rusted out wheel wells.

But I love it now! And so does my son; it's his when he turns 16. :D