new alternator

Ok I just got my car back last tuesday, and its already making weird noiese. It squeaks really bad, like a bad fan belt, I brought it back to the shop that replaced the engine(in case y'all dont rember, I had to get my old engine replaced, and they put a 2000 4.6l with 54,000 miles on it it my 97') and they told me the noise was comming from my alternator pulley, and my idol pulley. The idol pulley was not going to be too expensive, but they said the alternator was going to have to be replaced. They used all the old parts from my origianl engine(including the alternator) and it never made this noise before. Could they have over tightened it, or done anything that would make it squeak? Is there any way around spending $300-$400 on an alternator? Like is there a way to just replace the pulley?

It is also making a ticking noise on the left hand side, and one of my buddies said it sounded like an exhaust leak, I ran this by the mechanic, and he tried to tell me thats just what headers sound like. After a rather heated discussion on who knew what MY car was supposed to sound like, he told me to bring it in, and he would tighten them up for me. Is this even what the problem could be? He had it at the shop for over a month, and didnt even notice it, or at least forgot to mention it.
Any input will be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)