New back tires....

scrming

Aug 9, 2005
Ok... I dumped the BFGs (265/60/16, 28 inch OD) and went with Nitto 450s in the back (275/50/17, 27.8 OD) I've pretty much blown my budget so I had to do this on the absolute CHEAP!!!! Sooo... I got some new 17 wheels for the back... and since I had a lot of tread still on the front tires, with and extra set of them in the shed (from the back) I decided to just get a matching 16 inch wheel for the front... Doesn't look too goofy... LOL!

I didn't really get a chance to try the new tires out... Let's just say I'm getting my TPS replaced tomorrow.... for FREE (TSB) even though when I took the car into night the Zex was still completely hooked up, including the white wire tapped in to the TPS wire. I still had my helmet in the back seat (which the service guy DID notice) and to top it off I still had NUMBERS on my window from the track! LOL! The tech pulled the codes, they matched up with the TSB and said the part will be her tomorrow.... LOL! Do I have a cool dealership or what? LOL!

Ok... back to the tires.... These guys are WIDE! But they are a tad shorter so I got some of my gearing back, which I definitely could tell! I can't wait to try these guys out at the track... hoping to make it next Sunday...

now for some pics!

new_wheel2.jpg

new_wheel3.jpg

new_wheel1.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

fazm83 said:
How do you like them so far? I have nitto 450s on my 01 gt. Great traction, but horrible in the rain in my opinion.

So far I've only really gone around the block... but you got to love the loud chirp they make on the 1-2 shift... My BFGs would do it once in a while... but since they were so tall it was kind of hard to do that.....

Hopefully tomorrow afternoon I can take the car out on some back roads and do some practice launches...

Cool. Ya i notice with my car, they hook up pretty good, which is bad when you are on a rough road cuz the car tracks all over the place lol.
Ya, just the first time it rains, go down an empty road or somin and see how it handles, i was pretty shocked how bad it was.

hotmustang331 said:
450s? Hmm, dont hear much about them. Why not the 555s? or better yet the 555Rs? Looks good BTW.

Mainly money... LOL! I've pretty much gone over budget on my car... Also with the 4.10 gears I really didn't want to go back to a 27 inch OD tire... which really limited my choices....

Well one thing I noticed tonight is how much gearing I got back by going to a tire that 3/4 inch shorter than the BFGs! Car feels a lot quicker off the line... will be intereting to see some 60' times.... Oh... and you should hear this thing BARK on the 2-3 shift! LOL!!!