New best on the new Atl. Dragway blacktop!

Vinyl66

Mar 21, 2004
Yesterday was a beautiful day in the Atl. Over the winter the dragstrip has been totally resurfaced and it was very sticky and very smooth. Yesterday being opening day, we were the very first ones to try it out.

My car normally runs somewhere in the 11.8's with a best all time mph of 115. Over the winter I changed my Comp hydraulic cam to a SFT and I switched my Demon 650 to a 750.

My launch was the same as usual. Rev it to about 1300 or so and flash the converter (maybe 3/4 throttle) but not totally stab the throttle as this usually leads to tire spin for my little 235 drag radials. As I took off I noticed there was no tire spin so I got on the throttle the rest of the way and it hooked.

The engine spins very quickly and I shifted at about 6200 1st to 2nd and about 6500 2nd 3rd. I don't know what rpm I crossed the line but a little math will tell you it is too low with my 26" tall tires and 3.55 gears.

My first and only run of the day looked like this:

RT... 0.198
60'... 1.697
330'...4.737
1/8...7.304
MPH...95.70
1/4... 11.470
MPH... 116.84

I was told not to run that fast again without the proper safety equipment.
It didn't matter. I was happy to have a new best!!:)

And for those wondering, yes I am still using the Ford 8" rear.

• Sponsors (?)

holy snap! got a vid? You know we've been bugging you for awhile for a vid :) what safety equipment do you need besides a helmet? You surely don't need a cage until 10.99, or wait, its 11.49 now isn't it? if you get that 60 ft down you might have a shot at 10s. :flag:

Yeah, my 60 foot is still not good but it sure beats the 1.8's that I have been used to seeing. I didn't get a video of this run. The last video I have is when I ran a 12.01 about a year and a half ago. That was also about 7 mph ago as well. Which is a huge hp increase due to new shortblock, cam, and carb.

Old vid is here:
http://media.putfile.com/Rodneys12

I have not decided yet on whether or not to put a rollbar in it. I figured it would take me all year trying to whittle my et's down into the 11.5's but I already bested that on the first race of the year!!

Besides the 6 point bar I would need a 5 point safety harness and a fire jacket and maybe a few more items. All are needed to run under 11.50.

I never wanted to put a bar in this car but I also do not want to slow down to race. I guess I can always go run all out through the 1/8 and slow down through the 1/4 to see if I could beat my current 7.30 1/8 mile time. That would let me know what I am capable of running through the 1/4 to help me decide what to do.

Thanks guys!!
This car is fun as hell now but man it can suck up some gas when I put my foot into it.

Thanks clasic boost. That's exactly what I needed.

Nice times. The extra bars are really worth it, especially if you connect them to the subframe connectors. Car react better, and it even drives better. You'll probably pick up a bit just from an 8pt.

I have read about cars actually picking up at the strip and being much more consistent after putting in a rollbar.

10secgoal and classic boost: What roll bars are you guys using? Are they chrome moly? Where did you get them? Just weighing my options now.

Thanks...

the car would really have to benefit from the cage to offet the extra 150 lbs weight. safety would be key. do you need down bars for 11.49? the thing that separates many people from the cage act is the whole door bar thing, but you can do a removable pin one for ease of getting in an out. I would do the job right the first time and use chromemoly

mrmustangman357:
I do need the side bars that run to the front floor beside the seat to be legal.
I had a 6 pt. in my old '89 Convert that had removable door bars. Very nice for a street car.

classic boost:
Your bar does fit nicely in there.:nice: I like the removable harness bar too.
Running in the 9's is another level of saftey mods that must be done. You have more than enough hp to run there. Do you plan on staying in the low 10's for that reason?

Does anyone know how much weight would be saved on a 6 pt. going from mild steel to chromemoly?

classic boost:
Your bar does fit nicely in there.:nice: I like the removable harness bar too.
Running in the 9's is another level of saftey mods that must be done. You have more than enough hp to run there. Do you plan on staying in the low 10's for that reason?

no, my tracks don't say anything during the t-n-t's, so i try to run as quick as i can.

I made my own out of CM. Cost me about 600 bucks in material, but I did a 10 pt. The material actually weigh the same, but because it's stronger, your allowed thinned tubing. So the difference in weight will be the difference in thickness. .100 VS .080 wall would be 20% lighter. I'll see if I can find pics. I did run mine to the subframes. Rich and I ran ours very close to the body. Without the kickers, you could grab the halo and shake it. You could hear it hitting the car all around the body. The whole thing was able to flex within the car itself. Kickers stopped that.