New best times (again, the saga continues)

grrrrrrr

May 20, 2003
norfolk, VA
Well, first for the meat and potatoes:
9.002 @ 77.03
60' 1.968

That was with lift shifting 3rd as I can't seem to power shift that damn gear, and I'm having a hard time with second as well... need more practice. There was an older guy there with a formula. Came over and struck up a conversation with me. He was cool and helpful. Told me the nitto's like about 20#'s, watched my launch (apparently I'm wheel hopping) for me and told me about the weather and how much barometric pressure can affect a car (and apparently it was low that day). His formula ran 7.8's to 7.6's depending on the weather (he ran 7.8's last night never varying more than a couple hundredths in ET). Nice street car, automatic.
The surprise of the evening though was when I ran against a brand new 05 gt and beat it, several times in fact. Whenever I ran against him I ran in the 9.0x's... He ran 9.1x's with low 2.0 to 2.1x 60'... I asked him if he was giving it all it had and he replied "Yah, I'd feel a lot better if I knew you weren't stock" So I told him what I had. This isn't the only car he'd had. He used to bracket race an 88 which he won a little bit of money with and he used to heads up race an 11sec mach 1, he said he was never successfull with that car though and sold it a few years back.
For those of you unbelievers out there here is the time slip...
me:
R/T .331
60' 1.968
330 5.824 @ 58.10
1/8 9.002 @ 77.06
him:
R/T .048
60' 2.132
330 6.019 @ 59.87
1/8 9.159 @ 77.21

so let the opinions flood in...

• Sponsors (?)

wow nice not meaning to gloat but that is what my car ran with just the 3.55's flows and a pro-chamber. So i would say that's good for your car the 60's could be a lil better but that takes time. i usually get a 2.0 on street tires and ran a 9.1 last time a year ago man i need to go back to the track. I think that with a better 60' you could have a 8.8 maybe an 8.7 keep up the good work.

The thing that bothers me is that I ran a best time on street tires of 9.08 something at almost 78. That was with a 1.9x 60' I don't know why these nittos aren't hooking better. And that was spinning 1st and 2nd. I don't want to say this, but could my clutch be on it's last legs and it's not putting full power to the ground? I've had it for about 3 years now, it's a centerforce dual friction. It still starts to grab just a millimeter off the floor and I haven't started beating on it until recently at the track (read a month ago). I have no problems doing a 2nd gear burnout, wouldn't an abused clutch peter out on that? Also, I'm getting bad wheel hop say the guys who've watched my launch, I don't think a down and out clutch would provide enough gripping power off the line to cause that... I prolly just need better suspension, better air (texas heat zaps the power and the barometric pressure ain't too awesome around here either) and less than a full tank of gas... better luck next time... I still beat that 05 gt and he couldn't pull on me so I'm feeling pretty confident my car is running decent, just need to work on the launching...

95WhiteVenom said:
wow nice not meaning to gloat but that is what my car ran with just the 3.55's flows and a pro-chamber. So i would say that's good for your car the 60's could be a lil better but that takes time. i usually get a 2.0 on street tires and ran a 9.1 last time a year ago man i need to go back to the track. I think that with a better 60' you could have a 8.8 maybe an 8.7 keep up the good work.

but you have a cobra :D