New brakes

• Sponsors (?)

you should really use the search function.. there is tons of info in past threads on this already.

To answer your question.. that kit is basically a waste of time. If you want to upgrade your brakes you should do some form of an sn-95 brake swap.

There are lots of ways you can go.. and I'm sure others will chime in shortly.

Thanks for your input,I did do a search before and most of the threads I found suggested to go with sn-95 brakes or some other 5 lug set up. I would do that but I plan on keeping it 4 lug due to the 2 sets of wheels I currently have and my limited budget. I am going to add ss brake lines, stainless steel brake caliper sleeves and possibly 73mm SVO calipers and master cylinder.

There are also some 4 lug "big brake" kits out there to upgrade the fronts. The stock fox front brake set up is inadequate even with upgrades. The rotor is too small and not vented and the single piston caliper just does not have enough clamping power. Brake fade is a major issue in the fox. Keep reading and take your time to make a decision. Realize though that you could always sell those 4 lug rims and pick up some nice 5 lug mustang OEM take off's fairly cheaply. Gathering a stock 94/95 mustang brake set up is also cheap and easy. I strongly suggest you consider this route.

The braking system you are putting together will be great for a street car. All of the above-mentioned stuff is fine and dandy, but a Fox with the upgrades you're planning will be a great performing car. I have a very similar set-up on my LX and it performs very well with zero fade under non-road course conditions.

As far as Foxes not having vented discs, that's just plain incorrect.

The stock fox rotors are vented internally. The reason they are prone to fade is the incorporated hub/rotor design doesn't really allow for heat to escape as readily as the more modern slip on rotors that most modern cars use.

With fox brakes, a quality rotors (ie...quality of the steel..not holes/slots) with some good pads, fresh brake fluid and some SS lines will go a long way.

Stay away from the 73mm SVO "upgrade". There isn't a proper MC to actuate the calipers properly. You'd really need to source out an early Fox 7/8" diameter manual brake MC....and then go through the nighmare of adapting SAE and metric fittings to make it work. The SVO MC is way too large and should only be used if doing the rear SVO disks as well.

Look into rear shoe material as well. Like said before, quality pads, and rotors with SS lines and a good bleed will go a LONG way. Won't be a Cobra disk upgrade, but for a street car it's more than adequate.

I just want to clarify my point a little...
I don't think any of the upgrades you mentioned are bad... And for sure good rotors, pads, fluid, ss lines, etc... Will go a long way in helping. I just happen to feel that for what those upgrades will cost you.. You could purchase an sn95 set up and have a truly modern brake system and the added benefit of an expanded range of wheel choices because of the 5 lug swap.

Your choices look pretty solid. The Baer rotors are purdy but I doubt they perform any better than the powerslot rotors. If your definitely staying with the rear drums I'd suggest a fresh set of shoes and perhaps a stainless line upgrade or at least a fresh rubber line on the axle as well. Sorry for incorrectly speaking earlier about the fox rotors not being vented. It's been a while since I did brakes on a fox and had a brain fart.

For your basic street driving the stock set up once paired with better rotors, and friction material is fine. It's when you try to do repeated high speed stops or are on a track or any situation where the brakes cannot cool enough that fade or loss of pedal feel becomes the problem and the car will not stop the fluid gets hot and in time complete failure will happen. There is nothing wrong with upgrading to better brakes( it's a great mod with results) to gain more swept area for better leverage to help stop the car but knowing the limits of what you got and not over driving it is the key. If your driving style changes and you find yourself pushing that limit then you need to address it. That being said a solid rotor is much better being you have more material for the pad, if anything a slotted rotor might offer a place for the pad gases to vent but for the most part in street braking vs track braking the gases to a fine point are part of the braking. holes in the rotors for the street are for looks again racing brakes are another world and theory. stainless lines help with pedal feel, drums are fine for the street just keep them adjusted. street cars are high percentage front brakers with rears only having a small role by design.

This is very good basic set up for the street if leaving the stock brakes on the fox and what I recommend..

1987-93 Mustang 5.0L 4-Lug Slotted Front Brake Rotors by Power Slot at LRS - Same Day Shipping! I have used them before w/o any problems or warping doing some spirited back road driving and some autocross.

1987-93 Mustang 5.0L Hps Compound Hawk Front Brake Pads at LRS - Same Day Shipping! a great brake pad IMO and I used them many times over for years & currently.

1987-93 Mustang 5.0L Front And Rear Stainless Steel Brake Hoses by Maximum Motorsports at LRS - Same Day Shipping! great kit and company. everything you need is in the kit. I'm running this kit also.

1987-93 Mustang 5.0L Stainless Steel Front Brake Caliper Sleeves, Also Fits 1984-86 Mustang Svo by Maximum Motorsports at LRS - Same Day Shipping! also using these.

lrs doesn't list them but I'm using these rear shoes from MMS..

High Performance Brake Shoes, 1979-93 [HPRS] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

you can get everything I listed straight from them also. don't forget misc. hardware and spring kits, have fun!

Thanks for all the advise and suggestions, just ordered all the parts and plan on installing everything next Thursday. Ill let you know how everything works out and try to post some pics.

I installed all the parts listed below and will post pics soon. I bled the system with both a 2 man system and then a pressurized bleeder, but the brake pedal still doesn't feel right. When I apply the brakes, the pedal moves down until its pretty much even with the gas pedal (cant remember if it went that far before), and it doesn't feel like the brakes are doing much until the pedal is down that far. The brake pedal also feels a little spongy when I pump the brakes and the car is off. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1987-93 Mustang 5.0L 4-Lug Slotted Front Brake Rotors by Power Slot at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

1987-93 Mustang 5.0L Hps Compound Hawk Front Brake Pads at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

1987-93 Mustang 5.0L Stainless Steel Front Brake Caliper Sleeves, Also Fits 1984-86 Mustang Svo by Maximum Motorsports at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

1987-93 Mustang 5.0L Front Brake Rotor Installation Hardware Kit by 50resto at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

1979-93 Mustang Rear Drum Brake Hardware Kit at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

Russell 693010 Russell Street Legal Braided Brake Lines

Napa wheel cylinders

New brake shoes (cant think of the brand right now)

sorry it took so long to post pics i have been very busy with my new job and could not find the cord for my camera.

Attachments

• DSCN1543.JPG
    DSCN1543.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 64