New Car Options

Which one would be the better buy?

• Total voters

MysteryMachine

Jun 21, 2003
Parkesburg, PA
As you all know my 99 was totaled. I have been looking around on ebay for a replacement. I came across 2 that have potential. Because of things I wont mention in threads I want to buy something more "fun". I'd also like a V8 this time. Because of the unmentioned things I would like to upgrade :D.

Here they are

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...arms=tab=Watching&item=110349734434&viewitem=

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...arms=tab=Watching&item=140299580126&viewitem=

I really like the black one. I was talking to him about working something out but people bid on it before we got to really start talking. I need to find out if thats the actual miles on the engine or not. It seems high for a crate engine. It's mint condition for its age though.

What do y'all think?

I'm gonna post this in the fox section to get some feed back from them guys too. maybe they can give me so added info on that style of car.

• Sponsors (?)

Some would disagree with you on the dd thing. I admit I know nothing about sc'd cars but again look at the guys that have them on here. Some of them are dd's and have no problems at all.

Now the gas thing you could have a point. However anything is better then the Ram. Possibably even more so when the engine gets done. Its a small car even though its sc'd it can't be THAT bad on gas. Also I work like 5 min from home in the summer I could ride a bicycle lol. Only other driving I do is to class 2 nights a week.

Btw I'm not trying to be a dick either. I asked for opnions and I'm open to any and all of them.

Thanks for your honesty.

(The fox guys like it and say jump on it) :p

Posted via Mobile Device

OH and another thing just to add. You being from PA will know this. After the 94 gets the 514 I won't be able to drive it that often. I won't be able to consider that a driveable toy. I will have to keep it under 5000 miles. That could be 20 years from now for all i know but its still a thought I have. I wanna be able to have a fun dd no matter what.

Totally didn't notice your car is Sc'd. Is it your dd?

no its not, and thats my point. its a blast to drive when i drive it. I'm giving you advice from experience here. a 30 mile drive for me on the highway is like 1/3 tank of gas. i have worries about getting on it and breaking something, its louder than some neighborhoods appreciate, i don't feel comfortable leaving it at the grocery store or mall, etc.

others have different ideas of what is daily driveable, like i know Chris was driving his kennebell'd daily. a fox is getting up there in the years, if it was a new edge s/c'ed i'd be more willing to accept it but those are already 20 years old at this point.

I am trying to figure out how to word this without sounding like a dick, but I totally agree with prokiller. No offense, but I am trying to figure out why you think its even remotely a good idea to buy yet another car potentially full of headaches. You already have two vehicles that are not running (running well at least) yet you want to purchase yet another one that isn't exactly prime dd material? This makes absolutely no sense to me. I am still trying to figure out why in the world you aren't throwing a few bones at the Mustang to get it running right. Seriously you said you were thinking about just taking it to a shop and saying make it right. I say do it! Then you have your SN running right, plus its a fun car like you wanted, plus you don't have to purchse yet another car.

Look at it this way. You buy the fox, something goes wrong with it, which given its age and its modified state is not unlikely at all. Now you have 3 vehicles that are effed up. Now what?

I'm sorry if this came off rude, but just givin you my opinion like you asked for!:D I think you should get what you have running the right way before you buy new stuff. :)

Hell, I am not worried about being rude.....:rlaugh:

If I had to pic on looks, which I did as I did not read throught he ads, I like the looks of the black car much more..........that is if I had to pic....

I told you in another thread what I would do, you are bs'n with the MM, get that sucker on the road, get you a beater for a short time, put you a reman or even a low mileage explorer motor in the MM, reliable fun, finish the ram, got that going for you..........once they are both up, dump the beater off for same price purchased or little loss, and use that money to put toward the BB..........:shrug:

You have funds available now for the MM......perfect time to get er done.......

All in all, it's your call E, as said in my pm to you, don't let that money burn a hole in your pocket....take your time to make a good choice...........

I get what you all are saying my issue is I need a car. Her insurance is only gonna give me a rental for 5 days. Neither my car or truck will be finished in 5 days. That's why I'm so worried about buying something.

The guy got back to me and there's only like 5 or 6k on the engine.

I HAVE to have a way to get to class.

I have pretty much always had 3 cars. If I buy something I doubt I'll get rid of it right away. That's why I want something I like.
Posted via Mobile Device

And again to add here. I have a pretty good job now. As soon as the truck is finished my money is going into the MM. If all goes well it will be back on the road this year. When I I get done emt I will be getting paid even more. I will also be working full weeks. now I'm only working 3 nights a week 4-12 and 3 on call nights which I get paid at least 3 hours. I bring home over 600 every 2 weeks. Money shouldn't be much of an issue once I get emt out of the way. I can also work for other people and get added hours. Like friday I'm working a double.

Not trying to say its the greatest idea ever. Just I've always wanted a fox too and I could have one already modded so I don't gotta mess with it
Posted via Mobile Device

i have to say i'm with the other guys. i say stay away from a supercharged v8 for your daily driver and find something much more economical and reliable.

while a supercharged fox would definately be fun, it doesn't exactly fit in either category of economical or reliable.

buy a car that you know you can flip.... just to get you through till your stang is done.... I know you said you wouldnt want to drive it... but what is wrong with picking up a old impreza or scort or something for like $1200 and just clean it up drive it... fix the stang and flip it for $2000.... i know thats what i did with the saturd..... $1200..... $400 in engine parts... sold if for $2600 a month later....

You need something to get to class so get a beater. My DD is a '93 Dakota that I picked up for $650. It runs great and I have already put 25K miles on it. That's the kind of thing I would be looking for if i were you. Whats wrong with driving something that isn't amazing? It just makes alot more sense not to get a modded fox.

Just kinda wandered into this one, so I don't know any background that's not in this thread.

My 2 cents: a 26 y/o going to school, working, and making $600 every 2 weeks??? And you've already got 2 project vehicles, and need a DD?

An sc Fox is a really really really bad idea (that's the kinder, gentler way of saying it's freakin' dumb).

I don't know all your financial details, but I'd encourage you to look a little more at your future. Start working now on SAVING money, building up equity in your residence, setting yourself up for a long-term future. Not saying to get rid of your toys, but at least get a sensible daily driver. Buy a beater Honda, and get some stick on letters to put on the trunk that says

"My other car is a screaming-a$$, push-rod V8, super-modded Mustang! I drive this POS so I can afford the gas I burn up on weekends!"

Trust me, if your DD is a remotely interesting car, you'll start modding it. A supercharged Fox will only distract you from your other cars (my summer DD is my 95 vert--modding it kept me from spending as much time on my 67 project).

If you want a Fox that bad, sell your SN. Get a reliable beater for a DD, then get your SC Fox.

Now that I've given you the "dad" lecture, my credentials: I'm 44, I hadn't had stangs from 18 to 38, and I worked on my finances, along with some small indiscretions (jeeps, now snowmachines). I live in a really nice house now, with a 1000 sf garage, have an incredible 67 project, the 95 as my summertime DD, an Excursion for my toy hauler and winter DD, a nice stable of snowmachines, and live very comfortably. Use your head now, and you'll get to have cool toys later on. Live paycheck to paycheck now, and you'll do it the rest of your life. [/off soapbox]

OK so I gave it some thought and you guys are right. However finding a "cheap" car is impossible for some reason. I have found a ranger that is beat up for 1198 and a corolla for 2000. Theres no way I'm spending my money on them 2 junkers. I decided to open my option to things other then Mustangs. I didn't want to buy anything but I really need something to drive till i get my car or truck running. I decided to find something at a good price and use the rest of the money to put toward my truck. Mom mom seen a car local so tonight we went to see if it was still there. On the way I seen a Explorer for sale. The car that we went to look at was gone so we drove back to check out the Explorer. Its a 95 4x4 has 176,000 on it, body is in great shape from what I could see, has mint gray leather int. The are asking 2,500 obo. I'm gonna give them a call tomorrow and see if they would consider taking 2,000. I'm also gonna see if they are willing to work something out with me beings I don't have the check yet.

On a happy note when the lady called she said I'll be getting like 3,900 and some. More then I was told before. If I can talk the people down to 2000 I'll have almost 2,000 to throw at the truck.

I think its a good idea? Its cheaper then a mustang, and its a 4x4. It will be better for the remainder of the winter and if I wanted too I could drive it instead of my ram on the really bad days. That way if something happens I mess that up and not my nice truck

This sound like a better option to you guys?

Thanks for talking some sense into me :nice:

Thanks for not being offended! I'm always leary about giving harsh advice on a forum; it's hard to not sound like a jerk. Of course, I am a jerk, so that makes it even more challenging.

Sounds like a much better option. $2000 to 2500 is a good price, at least in the Alaska market; not sure what it's like in your neighborhood.

Caution--check out the tranny--professionally if possible. That's the weak spot on these trucks. And when it goes, you'll spend as much on fixing it as on a new truck. That said, my son's winter vehicle is a 96 Exploder, and he's had real good luck with it.

Have you worn out Craigslist? Not sure how it is in your area, but everyplace I've lived in the last 5 years, that's THE place for buying and selling cars, especially beaters.

That's where I'm screwed. The 99 was my only means to get around. The machine shop has had my truck block going on 5 weeks now I believe it is. Not saying it would be done if I had it back earlier due to the cold weather but that's a long time. I also figure with the Explorer if I decide to sell it later on beings its a small suv and 4x4 I should be able to hopefully get back what I paid or close to it. Also my parents can drive it if ever need be. I'm anal on who I let drive my other stuff lol
Posted via Mobile Device