New Carb Time . . . input needed . . .

D Durden

DEEP FAT FRY
Founding Member
Mar 9, 2000
Okay, the old 750 double pumper is on its last leg. Is there anything better out there now (under $600 or so)?

I'm running a 409 stroker, solid cam, blah blah blah . . .

Please, no $2,000 setups or "you can do this one for $200 . . . if you have a wrecking yard, 12 friends, 3 garages, some guys from Roush, and 3 weeks . . . ", okay? :D

I figure I'm going back with a 750 DP, but I thought I'd ask your opinions!

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Well, I really don't have any "specs". This isn't an outlandish racing motor that I spend hours on fine tuning, honestly. I drive the sucker to work. It's a pro-built motor with 150k+ on the odometer (getting freshened up this fall).

I guess what I'm asking is "is there a better general carb for my application?"

There is only a few moving parts. Rebuild it! The only thing that "wears" out are the throttle shafts. Get a book on modifying and building Holley's and get after it. I doubt any off the shelf carb will be perfect. A little reading about circuits and what they do will help a lot with tuning to your motor. A book and parts would be half the price of new a carb.

As bad as this sound, I'm a Mechanical Engineer. I work on machines all day long. I bought a Mustang (20 years ago :)) to DRIVE. If I wanted to work on her, I'd have bought a chebbie. I hear those guys work on their cars ALL the time. :)

Right now, I have a guy who wants to buy my used Holley for enough money to make rebuilding it really not worth the effort. I can get a new one for about the same money. Feh, why not?

I understand what you guys are saying about saving money by spending hours to learn to rebuild it, but honestly, I could make more money on my second job to pay for someone else to do the work and still have money left over.

As bad as it sounds, I don't get enjoyment out of working on my horse. I never really have. I'm capable, just not willing.

If you don't want to mess with it: Street Avenger. If want max perf, have your 750DP rebuilt. Ask around and you may find a good carb guy near you. I found a guy who used to own the local carb shop and now works out of shop in his back yard. Just does HiPerf stuff.

Dats what the people recommend for a stroker motor with heavy mods. She's 500+ hp, solid cam, all that crap. Their lighter duty units are still $670+.

Wonder if they take trade ins or will modify your old carb cheaper?