New CD deck...?

• Sponsors (?)

I tried a similar approach when I put my clarion head unit in my '02 with the mach 460.

I could never get it to sound right. I couldn't get any highs and I ended up ripping out the factory mach stuff and replacing it with Inifity reference 5x8's and matching amp. Sounds good now.. :)

Keep in mind that the adapter is to be used with 1988 and up Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda, and Nissan vehicles.. Last I checked there was no mach sound system in 1988. So, the adapter is just a generic low-level converter and probably doesn't take into account any of the specifics with the mach systems.

Now, it may work. I didn't spend much time tying to get mine to work, so take this with a grain of salt..

EDIT:
=====
I just saw you have a '98. I believe that in the newer mach audio systems the tweeters are powered off of the head unit itself; Which is why I had issues. I *think* in the older systems (like you have) the amp for the tweeters is separate so you might be OK..

Thanks!!
Riley

The new stereo has high power speaker level output. The stock stereo has a low level signal output providing signal to the mach amps. The adapter changes high level to low level to prevent damage to the stereo aor the mach amps. You can do this install without the 40 dollar adapter. Your stereo has low level outputs but they require rca cables. Solder the rca cables to the premium sound harness (METRA 5511) for about 10 bucks the rca's will cost you another 10 bucks. So about half price.

Skud said:
EDIT:
=====
I just saw you have a '98. I believe that in the newer mach audio systems the tweeters are powered off of the head unit itself; Which is why I had issues. I *think* in the older systems (like you have) the amp for the tweeters is separate so you might be OK..

Thanks!!
Riley
Thanks for the info, so i don't have to buy the adapter?

The newer mach systems have 3 amps 2 in the trunk and 1 under the stereo. The 2 in the trunk power the mid-bass and the one up front powers the tweeters. I suck at typing so if I did not explain the above procedure clearly pm me and I can walk you through it. I have been installing car audio and security for 11 years and have never used one of those adapters on a Mach system. I actually had a 98 gt and di that the same way until I added my amps.

BROWNSFAN said:
The newer mach systems have 3 amps 2 in the trunk and 1 under the stereo. The 2 in the trunk power the mid-bass and the one up front powers the tweeters. I suck at typing so if I did not explain the above procedure clearly pm me and I can walk you through it. I have been installing car audio and security for 11 years and have never used one of those adapters on a Mach system. I actually had a 98 gt and di that the same way until I added my amps.
Ok i'll just order the headunit and get a harness for the car, can this (METRA 5511) be bought at best buy or something like that?

Sorry, i just don't wanna get confused and buy stuff i dont have too.:shrug:
BROWNSFAN: i have a car audio friend and he told me he would help me out.:D

Tally_4.6 said:
Thanks for the info, so i don't have to buy the adapter?
Hey Tally you are buying a new deck for your car that is cool! :nice:
The services from Crutchfield is good and they ship the stuff on time
also.Yes, Tally you will need the new adapter because the old one won't
work.I payed more for my adapter to my deck so, don't feel bad lol.
The new Pioneer decks are nice compaired to the older ones.
The new Alpine decks are really nice also.If you are putting a brand new
deck in your car you mite want to consider getting a aftermarket
alarm system too because people are very shady these days lol.

Pennywise2 said:
Hey Tally you are buying a new deck for your car that is cool! :nice:
The services from Crutchfield is good and they ship the stuff on time
also.Yes, Tally you will need the new adapter because the old one won't
work.I payed more for my adapter to my deck so, don't feel bad lol.
The new Pioneer decks are nice compaired to the older ones.
The new Alpine decks are really nice also.If you are putting a brand new
deck in your car you mite want to consider getting a aftermarket
alarm system too because people are very shady these days lol.
Ok now i'm getting confused. I'm gonna get it installed at Best buy or circuit city, with all the money this will add up too i'll prolly break even, so i might as well let them do it cause if i **** it up its gonna suck.

Tally_4.6 said:
Ok now i'm getting confused. I'm gonna get it installed at Best buy or circuit city, with all the money this will add up too i'll prolly break even, so i might as well let them do it cause if i **** it up its gonna suck.
I got my deck installed at Circuit City and they told me that I would
need a new adapter for it to work.They said that the old adapter was
different.They did a good job and I was very happy with the "Roadshop"
employee's at Circuit City.When I came to pick up my car they all
said "your mustang looks great". :nice:

Pennywise2 said:
I got my deck installed at Circuit City and they told me that I would
need a new adapter for it to work.They said that the old adapter was
different.They did a good job and I was very happy with the "Roadshop"
employee's at Circuit City.When I came to pick up my car they all
said "your mustang looks great". :nice:
Sounds good. Did they give you free installation?

I bought the same Scosche adapter from Crutchfield with my Pioneer a year or so ago. At first, I couldn't get all the speakers playing. Talked with a Crutchfield tech rep, sent me a new adapter. I wired it in, no change. Talked with rep again, sent me a new head unit. I wired it in, no change. They had no idea what was up.

Here's what was up:

One connector from Scosche (the small black one in the picture) does not fit the factory connector properly. If I remember correctly, the Scosche end has male pins, & the Ford end female. The Scosche pins don't fit right, & when you plug the two together, the Scosche pins are forced out of position, losing contact with one or more speakers.

I ended up stripping back the insulation on the Ford harness, cutting each wire one by one, & hardwiring the two together, like you have to do with the head unit. You just have to take it one wire at a time, so you don't get them crossed.

Once I got it figured out (no thanks to Crutchfield, though props to them for sending me replacement parts with no hassles), it worked fine.

Can you believe all this **** was packed into center console of a mustang??I swear you could start a home entertainment collection with this ****, everyday i hate the previous owner if this car more and more.

cd3.jpg

Finished product.

cd2.jpg

cd.jpg

View attachment 455262

Attachments

• cd3.jpg
    cd3.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 57
  • cd2.jpg
    cd2.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 70
  • cd.jpg
    cd.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 51
Pennywise2 said:
Looks excellent Congrats Tally!! :nice:
Where did you get your Pioneer deck from Tally?
Just wondering?
Did you install it yourself?
Installed at circuit city for $236 which is pretty good considering the pocket for the bottom hole(where factory cd player went) $19.99. So in reality it was only about $216 and i got the deck for $169. Another bonus was it literally took the guy about 10-15 minutes to do it, he originally told me 45min-1 hour. I thought about doing it myself but the thing that really scared me was the first pic, i had no clue what i had in store for me considering the previous owner put all that dvd/tv crap in.

Yep, Tally that stuff looks like it weights a ton lol.
I must say that your new Pioneer deck makes it look
great and different! :nice:
What shape are your speakers in? Do they sound
good with the Pioneer deck?
I assume you are happy with the Roadshop at Circuit City?